Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can Anyone Explain These Errors To Me?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 1984

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 AM

Posted 07 January 2008 - 09:43 PM

Hello everyone. I didn't know where else to post this, but I need help deciphering these errors please:

Attached File  diskerror_screen1.JPG   158.57KB   38 downloads

Attached File  error_screen.JPG   84.97KB   33 downloads

One of them keeps popping up a lot in teh event log, the one that says "disk." Just wanted to know what they mean.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,685 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 AM

Posted 07 January 2008 - 10:21 PM

If you go to the Event column and right click on the error code and then click on properties it will provide a description of the error. If you need help from there please post the error description.

Edited by dc3, 07 January 2008 - 10:22 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 AM

Posted 08 January 2008 - 07:43 AM

In addition to dc3's advice, I'd suggest recreating your pagefile to ensure that it's not corrupted (due to the second error message indicating an error during paging).

a) Go to Start...Run...and type in "sysdm.cpl" (without the quotes) and press Enter.
-Then click on the Advanced tab,
-then on the Performance Settings Button,
-then on the next Advanced tab,
-then on the Virtual Memory Change button.
b ) In this window, note down the current settings for your pagefile (so you can restore them later on).
-Then click on the "No paging file" radio button, and
- then on the "Set" button. Be sure, if you have multiple hard drives, that you ensure that the paging file is set to 0 on all of them.
-Click OK to exit the dialogs.
c) Reboot (this will remove the pagefile from your system)
d) Then go back in following the directions in step a) and re-enter the settings that you wrote down in step cool.gif. Follow the steps all the way through (and including) the reboot.
e) Once you've rebooted this second time, go back in and check to make sure that the settings are as they're supposed to be.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 1984

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2008 - 11:27 PM

Hello guys, thanks for replying. I'm not sure but I guess this would be the error description?:

Attached File  disk_err3.JPG   130.67KB   19 downloads

Also forgive my ignorance about this, but what exactly is page file? Does it have to do with memory usage?

#5 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 PM

Posted 09 January 2008 - 05:56 AM

The Windows XP Page File

Performance is always an issue when dealing with computers. We tend to think of major items such as processor speed, amount of installed RAM and the graphics card when talking about how fast a computer performs. It's true those components do play a large role in performance, but one item that can substantially impact overall performance that doesn't get nearly the amount of attention as the more well known components is the paging file. The paging file is very closely related to the physical RAM installed in the computer. Its purpose is to extend the amount of physical RAM and make it available to the system. Both services and installed applications can benefit from this 'extra' RAM, even though it is substantially different from the sticks that plug into the motherboard.

Not all that long ago 32 to 64 megabytes (MB) of RAM was considered a huge amount for a personal computer. Today, amounts of 128MB to 256MB are common with many machines sporting 512MB or even 1GB of RAM. It might seem that with such a huge jump in installed RAM that the paging file would be unnecessary. There must be some sort of law or correlation that I don't know about, but operating systems and applications keep finding ways to suck up all that memory so the page file remains with us. There have been a number of schemes for extending the installed amounts of RAM but basically they are all paging files. When the load imposed by applications and services running on the computer nears the amount of installed RAM it calls out for more. Since there isn't any additional RAM to be found, it looks for a substitute; in this case virtual memory which is also known as the page file.

We now have two types of memory; random access memory (RAM) and virtual memory, or the page file. The page file is created during the Windows XP installation and resides on the hard drive. Page files are measured in megabytes. The size of the page file is based on how much RAM is installed in the computer. By default, XP creates a page file which is 1.5 times the amount of installed RAM and places it on the hard drive where XP is installed. Other than plugging the RAM into the motherboard, there is little than can be done to alter its performance characteristics. The page file is a different story. Because it's located on a hard drive, it's subject to a number of factors that can hinder its performance.

Link
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#6 1984

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2008 - 03:56 PM

Thanks for the info Budapest :thumbsup: . On the third screen shot I posted that reads "An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk5\D during a paging operation", does that mean that the page file on my hard disk is corrupt, and if so, would recreating the page file, like Usasma suggested, fix this completely?

#7 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 PM

Posted 12 January 2008 - 02:25 AM

would recreating the page file, like Usasma suggested, fix this completely?

There's no guarantee it will fix your problem completely, but it's worth a try.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 AM

Posted 12 January 2008 - 09:06 AM

The warnings that you posted indicate that there was an error during the paging operation - so it could be the pagefile, or it could be something else (such as disk or file system problems).

Other tests/fixes would center around the hard drive (because this is a disk error) - but may not be limited to it.
A diagnostic from the manufacturer of your hard drive should be able to check the physical structure of the drive.
Running chkdsk /f /r should check the file system on the drive.

If the 3 things above don't isolate the issue - then there's more troubleshooting to do within Windows.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users