Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firefox Change Active Tab Color

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,094 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 PM

Posted 07 January 2008 - 08:54 PM

I finally have installed Firefox 2. I want to change the color of the active tab because there isn't enough contrast between it and the inactive tabs. How do I do this? I figure that I start in about:config I tried changing the color code for browser.active_color, but that had no effect on the tab color, or anything else that I have been able to determine.

Thanks,

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Internet Security, NoScript Firefox ext.

animinionsmalltext.gif

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Vaerli

Vaerli

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 PM

Posted 07 January 2008 - 11:05 PM

Your theme is probably what does that. Its pretty much up to you to go and change the theme if you want it to be darker. I'd just look for a new theme on the main firefox website. You'll probably find one that you like better anyways.

Link for themes below...

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/browse/type:2

Q6600, 4GB g-skill, 8800GT, P5N-D motherboard
Posted Image
My art

#3 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 PM

Posted 08 January 2008 - 12:10 AM

Changing the color of the tabs, involves editing the userChrome.css file, located in your Firefox profile file, in the chrome folder.
If it's something you want to try, it's not hard to do.

Copy this to Notepad, so it'll be available when you close Firefox.

Close Firefox.

Set windows to show hidden files:
How to see hidden files in Windows

Navigate to:
C:\ Documents and Settings \ "your user name" \ Application Data \ Mozilla \ Firefox \ Profiles \ default.random characters \ chrome

In the chrome file you should find userChrome-example.css.
Rename it to userChrome.css.

Open userChrome.css, using Notepad.

Between the 2 lines below, Copy the text, and Paste it, below the text that is already present in the userChrome.css file.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
/* Change color of active tab */
tab{ -moz-appearance: none !important; } tab[selected="true"] {
background-color: rgb(222,218,210) !important;
color: black !important; }
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You'll change you colors using the background-color:, and color: lines.

On the background-color: line, change the rgb numbers in the pharenthesis, to the color of your choice.
On the color: line, change black to the appropriate color.

You can use this color chart, to select your colors:
Color Codes

You might want to make your color selections, and add them to these instructions, since you won't have Firefox to check them out, while making these changes. :thumbsup:

When everything is the way you want it, click File, and select Save.

Close everything, and re-start Firefox.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• Topic Starter

• 37,094 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2008 - 12:27 AM

Thanks tg1911. I'll start on that soon, probably in the morning when I'm more alert. Also thanks to Vaerli. I had no idea we had all those theme options. I tried one of them out, but I'm going to go back to the default and change the tab color. Everything else about that theme works well for me.

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

animinionsmalltext.gif

#5 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 PM

Posted 08 January 2008 - 12:39 AM

To solve this problem, I use ColorfulTabs, a nice little Firefox Add-On.
The Tab in use is very bold aside from being a different color.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#6 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 PM

Posted 08 January 2008 - 12:40 AM

You're welcome, Orange Blossom.
Glad to help.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#7 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• Topic Starter

• 37,094 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2008 - 12:42 PM

Thanks for posting the information about the tab add-on TmacK.

I altered the active tab via tg1911's directions which resulted in a lovely border for the active browser tab. The tabs in other Firefox windows such as the Advanced section in Options has that same color but solid and not as a border. I also installed the add-on TmacK suggested. Together with the border color and the bold print the active tab really stands out. I like seeing all those different tab colors too. It makes for an interesting appearance.

Thanks to everyone,

Orange Blossom

animinionsmalltext.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users