Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Insufficient System Resources To Complete Task...

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ShannonU

ShannonU

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 PM

Posted 07 January 2008 - 06:49 PM

See my efforts so far, posted here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/top...tml#entry705737

Basically what is still happening is, I'll start my computer, open Outlook, Excel, Internet Explorer, etc., and after I've been working on these applications for a while, I start getting these error messages:

Network drive:\ not accessible. Insufficient system resources exist to complete the requested service.

And other times I get an error message that there isn't enough memory to complete the command/operation

I am operating Windows XP Professional version 2002 with Service Pack 2 on an Intel Pentium 4 CPU with 2.6GHz and .98GB of RAM.

If I shut down Internet Explorer, that enables me to access my network drive, but sometimes I have to shut down all applications and/or reboot the computer.

The Task Manager shows an average of 42 processes running. That seems like a lot. I've changed my "start up" programs to the bare minimum, so I know it's nothing loading there... I've done malware, virus and spyware scans and have cleaned up my computer as much as all the scans allow (using SpyDr, MS online scan, LavaSoft Adaware, TrendMicro scan, etc) and I've even defragmented my hard drive and manually changed the virtual memory...but I'm still having the problem.

Can someone help me figure what is causing this issue and how to resolve it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,830 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 PM

Posted 07 January 2008 - 06:58 PM

Well...you only have 1 GB of memory and opening Outlook, Excel, etc...unless necessary...is not a particularly good idea, IMO. The Office suite is memoryj-intensive.

While I believe 1GB is fine for routine things, I don't think it's fine for opening multi-memory-intensive programs at the same time.

42 processes running is about normal for me, I think that's a false trail.

You could also try adjusting your virtual memory settings to see if that makes a difference. I firmly believe in letting XP manage it, but others will give you all sorts of schemes which allegedly lead to better management. I've tried most of these and I hold fast to my convictions about letting XP dictate size.

Virtual Memory in Windows XP - http://winsupportcenter.com/win5/a/xpvm.htm

Louis

#3 ShannonU

ShannonU
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 PM

Posted 08 January 2008 - 10:08 AM

I've been working on this computer for almost 4 years now and have never had a problem with the "insufficient system resources" until this past October.

Nothing new had been added or changed and I have been using the same software and applications, so I don't understand how it was fine for 3 years and then all of the sudden it started having problems, and it's explained as just a "memory issue".

It doesn't make sense to me....

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,830 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 PM

Posted 08 January 2008 - 10:32 AM

Understood...but be aware that file corruption occurs routinely in any Windows O/S...and file corruption can result in a normally working system...taking a detour because a file is damaged.

I cannot say that is the case, I only bring it up as a partial explanation of "Windows mysteries".

I do know that system resources are impacted by the number of files open at one time...I also know that system resources are NOT necessarily the same as system memory.

Take a look at the following link, I believe it explains system resources much better than I could ever do: http://computer.howstuffworks.com/question466.htm

Louis

#5 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 PM

Posted 09 January 2008 - 04:22 AM

I would try resetting your pagefile:

Go to Start...Run...and type in "sysdm.cpl" (without the quotes) and press Enter. Then click on the Advanced tab, then on the Performance Settings Button, then on the next Advanced tab, then on the Virtual Memory Change button. In this window, note down the current settings for your pagefile (so you can restore them later on). Then click on the "No paging file" radio button, and then on the "Set" button. Be sure, if you have multiple hard drives, that you ensure that the paging file is set to 0 on all of them. Click OK to exit the dialogs. Reboot (this will remove the pagefile from your system) Then go back in following the directions and re-enter the settings that you wrote down. Follow the steps all the way through (and including) the reboot. Once you've rebooted this second time, go back in and check to make sure that the settings are as they're supposed to be.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users