Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Windows Backup And Restore

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 cullism

• Members
  • 41 posts
  • Local time:09:57 AM

Posted 07 January 2008 - 05:37 PM

After I had set up my new Lenovo (OS Windows Vista Business) last April I used Backup and Restore to backup the entire computer (7 DVDs). A couple of months later I had a major problem and had to reformat my pc back to its factory settings. After reformatting I tried to use the backup disks (thus avoiding having to do a lot of manual labour). Backup and Restore told me that it couldn't restore from my disks because I Hadn't made a backup!

That was months ago. I had no choice but to install everything manually. I would now like to make a new set of backup DVDs but would appreciate advice on how to get Backup and Restore to recognize them if I ever have to reformat the disk.

PS I have Lenovo Rescue and Recovery, but it apparently requires Norton AntiVirus which I have deleted.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,539 posts
  • Local time:06:57 PM

Posted 08 January 2008 - 01:22 AM

Backups should be for your important data only!
For example the My Docs folder or whatever.

Backing up the entire system is a total waste of time.
Attempting to do this in your method does not write the correct registry values for your software all of which need to be reinstalled from the original disks to create the proper entries in the registry
In the beginning there was the command line.

#3 cullism

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  • Local time:09:57 AM

Posted 08 January 2008 - 03:24 AM

Thanks for your reply. My Lenovo came without any disks and I was told that I should do a complete backup ASAP. If I had to do a complete reformat of the hard disk I would not have the disk(s) necessary to re-install Vista.

It has been suggested elsewhere that when using Restore one only has to install the first DVD which automatically starts the restore process. I should add that attempts to restore my computer to a previous restore point have not worked...at the end of the restore process I am told that the restoration failed.

#4 usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,084 posts
  • Local time:07:57 PM

Posted 08 January 2008 - 07:00 AM

Although my experience with this is limited, it seems that an additional backup is not needed to restore your PC using the complete backup that you did earlier. Try these links for more instructions: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/windows-vista-complete-pc-restore/ and http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-use-vista-complete-pc-backup/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users