Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Virus Protection Software Won't Install

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Dan Neira

Dan Neira

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 PM

Posted 07 January 2008 - 05:20 PM

Though fortunately at this time I see no serious outward infection symptoms, I have the following problems with my system...

I have done several things to determine if I have a virus / malware in my system. I have determined two exe files that are known to be problems in Task Manager - wintems.exe (Trojan.w32.mitglieder and Trojan.w32.bagle) and an exe file that goes by various similar names to 4exhmunml35dl.exe and variants with different numbers at the start but basically ending the same way. They are put out by a company that has a file icon of MFC and is described as TODO:<File Description> etc. I noticed someone else had the same problem with this on December 24, 2007 posting in this forum, and was helped out by skyetsu (Richie). I have terminated them from running in Task Manager, but they pop up again every time I reboot.

Following the advise given here and in preparation for this posting I ran the following cleanup programs successfuly - Ad-Aware and Stinger. However, when I tried to load Spybot I had a problem: it loads, but when the icon for Spybot appears on my desktop it is a generic Windows icon and when I double click it Windows tells me it doesn't know where the file to open the program is located. In addition and maybe related to that problem...

Until January first I was running V-Com System Suite 7 on my computer and decided to upgrade to System Suite 8. In order to do that I had to uninstall Version 7. Then the problems started. Since then I have tried loading three different versions of Virus Protection software: V-Com System Suite 8, Sygate Personal Firewall, PCSecurity Shield, and they all stop the installation process with basically the same screen, which reads: "Error 1304: Error writing to File C:\Program Files\etc. etc. Verify that you have access to that directory." In contacting technical support for these solutions they all indicate that there seems to be some other "virus protection" files still in the system and that is why the system won't accept a new one. They advised me to clean out various files to make sure there was no residual anti virus program files in my system - the only one I could have there would have been System Suite 7 - but I made sure I followed their suggestions for deleting those files. The other suggestion I was able to find on-line for that particular error message is to make sure my DVD/CD player is running-connected properly, which it is (not sure why that would have anything to do with the problem, but I checked that too).

Bottom line, no one can offer me any help beyond these two suggestions and I would be very greatful if someone can assist me in cleaning out my system from these particular known pieces of malware-spyware (or whatever they are) and to get my system to accept a virus protection software. I am inclined to using Trend Micro's software, but would like your advise on one if you are inclined towards one in particular (btw, I tried loading their 30 day trial version - PCCillin - as well with the same results as the other ones - won't complete installation).

Thank you in advance for whatever help you can give me to resolve this problem.

Below is my HijackThis log...

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 1:35:40 PM, on 1/7/2008
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16574)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware 2007\aawservice.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
c:\program files\common files\logishrd\lvmvfm\LVPrcSrv.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\GEARSec.exe
C:\Program Files\LogMeIn\x86\RaMaint.exe
C:\Program Files\LogMeIn\x86\LogMeIn.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton Ghost\Agent\VProSvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\HPZipm12.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ulead Systems\DVD\ULCDRSvr.exe
C:\Program Files\Viewpoint\Common\ViewpointService.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\MsPMSPSv.exe
C:\Program Files\Canon\CAL\CALMAIN.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Creative\ShareDLL\CtNotify.exe
C:\Program Files\LogMeIn\x86\LogMeInSystray.exe
C:\Program Files\Creative\ShareDLL\MediaDet.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\MSNMES~1\MsnMsgr.Exe
C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\usnsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\livecall.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://g.msn.com/0SEENUS/SAOS01?FORM=TOOLBR
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://g.msn.com/0SEENUS/SAOS01?FORM=TOOLBR
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.yahoo.com
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.yahoo.com
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchURL,(Default) = http://g.msn.com/0SEENUS/SAOS01?FORM=TOOLBR
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {02478D38-C3F9-4efb-9B51-7695ECA05670} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.ocx
O2 - BHO: Skype add-on (mastermind) - {22BF413B-C6D2-4d91-82A9-A0F997BA588C} - C:\Program Files\Skype\Toolbars\Internet Explorer\SkypeIEPlugin.dll
O2 - BHO: DriveLetterAccess - {5CA3D70E-1895-11CF-8E15-001234567890} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswshx.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {7E853D72-626A-48EC-A868-BA8D5E23E045} - (no file)
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WINDVDPatch] CTHELPER.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CTStartup] C:\Program Files\Creative\Splash Screen\CTEaxSpl.EXE /run
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Disc Detector] C:\Program Files\Creative\ShareDLL\CtNotify.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LogMeIn GUI] "C:\Program Files\LogMeIn\x86\LogMeInSystray.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [.nvsvc] C:\WINDOWS\system\smss.exe /w
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [devenv] C:\WINDOWS\system\smvss.exe /w
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WindowsServicesStartup] C:\DOCUME~1\DANNEI~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\svchost.exe 1
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [msnmsgr] "C:\PROGRA~1\MSNMES~1\MsnMsgr.Exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [drvsyskit] C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\hldrrr.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [german.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\wintems.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Uniblue RegistryBooster 2] C:\Program Files\Uniblue\RegistryBooster 2\RegistryBooster.exe /S
O8 - Extra context menu item: Add to Windows &Live Favorites - http://favorites.live.com/quickadd.aspx
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xportar a Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: Skype - {77BF5300-1474-4EC7-9980-D32B190E9B07} - C:\Program Files\Skype\Toolbars\Internet Explorer\SkypeIEPlugin.dll
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {215B8138-A3CF-44C5-803F-8226143CFC0A} (Trend Micro ActiveX Scan Agent 6.6) - http://housecall65.trendmicro.com/housecal...ivex/hcImpl.cab
O16 - DPF: {B7D07999-2ADB-4AEB-997E-F61CB7B2E2CD} (TSEasyInstallX Control) - http://www.trendsecure.com/easy_install/_a...asyInstallX.CAB
O16 - DPF: {FD0B6769-6490-4A91-AA0A-B5AE0DC75AC9} (Performance Viewer Activex Control) - https://secure.logmein.com/activex/ractrl.cab?lmi=100
O18 - Protocol: bwfile-8876480 - {9462A756-7B47-47BC-8C80-C34B9B80B32B} - C:\Program Files\Logitech\Desktop Messenger\8876480\Program\GAPlugProtocol-8876480.dll
O18 - Protocol: skype4com - {FFC8B962-9B40-4DFF-9458-1830C7DD7F5D} - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\Skype\SKYPE4~1.DLL
O23 - Service: Ad-Aware 2007 Service (aawservice) - Lavasoft AB - C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware 2007\aawservice.exe
O23 - Service: Adobe LM Service - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe Systems Shared\Service\Adobelmsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Apple Mobile Device - Apple, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
O23 - Service: Canon Camera Access Library 8 (CCALib8) - Canon Inc. - C:\Program Files\Canon\CAL\CALMAIN.exe
O23 - Service: GEARSecurity - GEAR Software - C:\WINDOWS\System32\GEARSec.exe
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: Imapi Helper - Alex Feinman - C:\Program Files\Alex Feinman\ISO Recorder\ImapiHelper.exe
O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: LogMeIn Maintenance Service (LMIMaint) - LogMeIn, Inc. - C:\Program Files\LogMeIn\x86\RaMaint.exe
O23 - Service: LogMeIn - LogMeIn, Inc. - C:\Program Files\LogMeIn\x86\LogMeIn.exe
O23 - Service: Process Monitor (LVPrcSrv) - Logitech Inc. - c:\program files\common files\logishrd\lvmvfm\LVPrcSrv.exe
O23 - Service: LVSrvLauncher - Logitech Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\LogiShrd\SrvLnch\SrvLnch.exe
O23 - Service: Norton Ghost - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton Ghost\Agent\VProSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Pml Driver HPZ12 - HP - C:\WINDOWS\System32\HPZipm12.exe
O23 - Service: Ulead Burning Helper (UleadBurningHelper) - Ulead Systems, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ulead Systems\DVD\ULCDRSvr.exe
O23 - Service: Viewpoint Manager Service - Viewpoint Corporation - C:\Program Files\Viewpoint\Common\ViewpointService.exe

--
End of file - 7475 bytes

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 lusitano

lusitano

Portuguese Malware Fighter

• Members
  • 1,443 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 PM

Posted 08 January 2008 - 05:37 AM

Hi, Wellcome to Bleeping Computer Forums!

You might want to save this page on your favorites, so you can find it again when you return.

Please take note of the following:
  • I will be handling your log and helping you, please do not make any system changes yet.
  • The process is not instant. Please continue to review my answers until I tell you that your computer is clean. Be patience.
  • The fixes are specific to your problem and should only be used for this issue on this machine
  • If there's anything that you don't understand, please ask your question(s) before proceeding with the fixes.
  • Please reply to this thread. Do not start a new topic.
Please give me some time to look over your log and I will get back to you as soon as possible.

:thumbsup:
Posted Image
Please do not PM me asking for support.
Please be courteous, polite, and say thank you.
Please post the final results, good or bad. We like to know!

#3 lusitano

lusitano

Portuguese Malware Fighter

• Members
  • 1,443 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 PM

Posted 08 January 2008 - 02:47 PM

Hello,

1. Please download this tool: EliBagle
  • Launch the application, and wait for the scan to finish.
  • Make sure you have the like this: Posted Image
  • When completed, please post the contents of C:\infoSat.txt, in a reply to this thread, along with a new HijackThis log.
2. Please download F-Secure Blacklight (fsbl.exe) and save to your C:\ drive.
  • Open a command window by going to Start > Run and typing: cmd
  • Copy/paste or type the following in the command window: C:\fsbl.exe /expert
  • Hit "Enter" to start the program and then close the cmd box.
  • Accept the user agreement and click "Next".
  • Click "Scan".
  • After the scan is complete, click "Next", then "Exit".
  • BlackLight will create a log in C:\ drive named "fsbl-xxxxxxx.log" (the xxxxxxx will be the date and time of the scan).
  • The log will have a list of all items found. Do not choose to rename any yet!
    I want to see the log first because legitimate items can also be present...like "wbemtest.exe" and "tcptest.exe.
  • Exit Blacklight and post the contents of the log in your next reply, along with a new HijackThis log.
3.Please download ATF Cleaner by Atribune.
Do NOT use, just yet!

4. Reboot your computer on into Safe Mode by continuously tapping the F8 key as soon as the computer begins to boot. A menu should come up where you will be given the option to enter Safe Mode.

5. Please re-open HiJackThis and choose do a system scan only. Check the boxes next to ONLY the entries listed below,"if still present":

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {02478D38-C3F9-4efb-9B51-7695ECA05670} - (no file)
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [.nvsvc] C:\WINDOWS\system\smss.exe /w
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [devenv] C:\WINDOWS\system\smvss.exe /w
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WindowsServicesStartup] C:\DOCUME~1\DANNEI~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\svchost.exe 1
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [drvsyskit] C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\hldrrr.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [german.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\wintems.exe

Click on Posted Image button. A box will pop up asking you if you wish to fix the selected items. Please choose YES. Once it has fixed them, please exit/close HijackThis.

6. Using Windows Explorer (to get there right-click your Start button and go to "Explore"), please delete these files, "if present":

C:\WINDOWS\system\smss.exe <- this file Careful, this file its under the system folder. Do NOT delete the files under system32 folder!

C:\WINDOWS\system\smvss.exe <- this file

7. Run ATF CleanerDouble-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
Under Main choose: Select All
Click the Empty Selected button.
If you use Firefox browserClick Firefox at the top and choose: Select All
NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
If you use Opera browserClick Opera at the top and choose: Select All
NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.
For Technical Support, double-click the e-mail address located at the bottom of each menu.

8. Reboot normaly.

9. In your next reply, please post:
  • A new HijackThis log.
  • The contents from the file C:\infoSat.txt (step nš 1)
  • The contents from the file fsbl-xxxxxxx.log (step nš 2)
  • Also let me know how your computer its running now.
Regards
Posted Image
Please do not PM me asking for support.
Please be courteous, polite, and say thank you.
Please post the final results, good or bad. We like to know!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users