Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Amount Of Available Memory

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 El_Tel

El_Tel

• Members
  • 196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 PM

Posted 07 January 2008 - 04:02 PM

Hi…

Anybody up for a challenge in writing a general boot up program that’s meets these few ideas.
Firstly to stuff “ Bill Gates “ hogging the amount of systems resources that one might have on ones PC, but most of all; one that can be downloaded and put onto a floppy disc or pen stick for the none computer savvy people like myself. It would be GR8 if it could work across the board on all platforms; I am on “ Windows ME “

Limit the amount of memory available at start up
IE:
If you have 256MB or 512MB of Ram, fool the PC to leave just the absolute minimum amount memory needed to run Windows, then once windows is run free up the remaining RAM so as to leave more availed to do other things.

Any thoughts on whether this is possible or practicable…

Regards
Posted Image

Tarrah then... Why not check my Intro

Many Thanks for taking the time out of your busy day...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,691 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 PM

Posted 07 January 2008 - 08:45 PM

As far as I'm aware, the only way to restrict the memory pool prior to Windows booting would be to insert a process to allocate raw XMS memory in 386 Enhanced Mode, ie in a Virtual Machine, then remain as a stub after Windows booted to release the memory allocation later, if such a thing is technically feasible.

However even if it were technically feasible, the idea wouldn't have the desired effect. Windows dynamically allocates memory from the global pool, if more memory "became" available to the pool after Windows was operating it would not use it in any different way to memory that was present at startup.

Windows actually manages memory rather efficiently, the main FUD suggesting it is poor comes from software developers who would like you to think you need to buy their memory enhancers to "free up" memory. What you need to remember is that "free" memory is unused, ie it is not currently doing anything useful, and is therefore being wasted. If your system runs typically with 10% of the available memory free, then having 25% "free" is not going to help at all, in fact it means the other things that would otherwise be in memory ready to be used, now have to be loaded from the page file or the original file locations. Lying to Windows about the available memory at startup would have the same effect - system files like .DLLs would not be pre-loaded into memory ready for instant use, they would have to be loaded from the hard drive on demand, giving lags in application response.

If the system requirement is exceeding the available real memory and Windows is paging excessively, only additional physical RAM will solve the situation. If you already have 512M on a Win9x-ME system, you're starting to hit the wall with Windows' own internal limitations and an OS upgrade is the only real solution.

Edited by Platypus, 07 January 2008 - 08:46 PM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 El_Tel

El_Tel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 196 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2008 - 06:09 PM

Hi… Platypus

Firstly I thank you for your thoughts, explanation. I do have 512MB and I will not be giving another penny to “ Bill Gates “ who has turned his back on the very bread and butter that have put him where he is today.
Over the years my PC has noticeably started to run slower, my concern perhaps is elsewhere in my system.
Shortly after the last update prior to Windows ME not being supported, I can say my system has started to play me up.
I have taken some screen shots of a “ Windows Monitor “ ( C:\WINDOWS\SYSMON.EXE 80Kb ) program that I found shortly after I brought my PC. I also had until last week “ Dr Watson “ running, now disabled trying to free up some more physical memory. I will also admit to downloading and trying out loads of Freeware programs; perhaps some of these have left something’s in my registry?
Another program is by William YZ Yang Windows Startup Inspector V2.05, ("C:\Program Files\Windows Startup Inspector\wsInspector.exe" 1,001Kb ) Unchecked everything that I was no longer using on a regular basis, but on 7 out of 10 shutdowns I get the “ Blue Screen Of Death “ saying “ Windows protection error. You need to restart your computer. System halted. “ If I have not the time to re-boot I have to pull the plug and wait until I switch on again, then letting scan disc run in safe mode; where the log could be anything from.
SpeedFan 11.LOG
FSInfoSector 82.LOG
APPLOG ind 09.LOG
lost file fragment 60.LOG
cleanup log 89.LOG
SPF 01.LOG
SYSTEM INI 00.LOG
All I’ve done is to rename the scan log to the main fault it found above and you can see I have had some “ Blue Screens “

Regards
Posted Image

#4 Vaerli

Vaerli

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 AM

Posted 08 January 2008 - 07:12 PM

umm, you could always build a new computer and just install some good linux OS....

If its just that your computer is running slowly, you might want to try and clean out the inside of your computer, and if that doesn't help, go for the reinstallation of windows ME.

Also, yes, I've heard that installing and uninstalling programs can mess with the registry and leave little chunks and pieces of software that act on their own. Reformatting the drive and starting all over is probably the best way to go with that... which I already mentioned.. :?

Q6600, 4GB g-skill, 8800GT, P5N-D motherboard
Posted Image
My art

#5 El_Tel

El_Tel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 196 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2008 - 03:56 AM

:thumbsup:

Reformatting the drive and starting all over is probably the best way to go

I don't think this is an option :flowers: while it still works...
Posted Image

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 AM

Posted 14 February 2008 - 03:31 PM

Back in the days of WFW 3.11 it was possible to fool the system into running on less memory than was required (I did it). But now, with the increasing complexity of hardware and software, it's just not realistic to do anymore. Software and hardware are designed with certain minimum specifications in mind - and it won't work with any less.

Each time you try something out on your system it adds stuff. And, over time, this contributes to Windows "bloat". This is caused by little things adding up. Take a look at the Everything tab in this free program ( http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysintern...s/Autoruns.mspx ) That's all stuff that either came with Windows or was added on later - and that's only the startup entries. It doesn't refer to all the other changes that affect the programs/files that are launched by the startups.

You can either spend a lot of time researching all of this stuff, and then more time tweaking the system - or you can bite the bullet and start out with a fresh copy that doesn't have all the "bloat" in it.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 AM

Posted 14 February 2008 - 04:00 PM

I have only 512 megs of ram with xp, and been running with this install foir 2 years, I test some programs but uninstall them when I find I don't need them, my windows folder and registry has grown, I don't clean them out.

I do keep windows optimized, the computer keeps running fast with proper maintenance. I have disabled useless stuff along the way.

they say a picture is worth a thousand words

but can't attach one here

task manager shows 360 megs available

Edited by DaChew, 14 February 2008 - 04:02 PM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users