Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Printer - Printing Problems

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Izzy

Izzy

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 AM

Posted 02 March 2005 - 06:28 AM

i'm having trouble with my printer at the moment, its 12 months old and its a MPC190 (Canon ImageClass) very good black text printing and average colour printing.

The problem at the moment my colour ink cartridge won't print yellow but will print out blue and red. when i print pictures it's always a purple colour instead of being the way its suppose to be i have tried ringing the manufacturer but lines always busy (as always with all of these types of places).

I have done cleaning and deep cleaning. Print head alignment so it might not be my printer but could be the cartridge. i know there is yellow ink in it because its only a new one. i had a cotton bud and lightly touch the yellow ink bit on the bottom nd yellow mark is on the cotton bud.

What could the problem be? Printer or Cartridge? i can't get a refund for the cartridge because i don't have docket. my printer is now out of waranty which is usual for things to play up now because we have to pay.

Please let me know. Will it be worth fixing, or buy another printer. i can get a lexmark X1185 Multi-Function Printer, Print, Copy, Scan (like mine) 4800 dpi, 48 bit scanner. for $98 is it a good buy? are they a good printer?

Edited by Izzy, 02 March 2005 - 06:32 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 twinsdad

twinsdad

• Members
  • 411 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2005 - 10:58 AM

Izzy: If your Canon is similar to mine (an i550), it has a larger black cartridge and 3 same-size color cartridges and the print head is located not on the cartridges themselves, but on the carrier that holds the cartridges. If yours is different, you probably should not follow the cartridge-switching suggestion below.

If same, you can test your yellow cartridge and it's ink-flow path to the head by simply switching to a known good cartridge. If you don't have another yellow cartridge, you can switch colors, say put the red cartridge in the yellow slot and the yellow where the red was. That will tell you if the cartridge and the ink-path are OK. The only downside of doing this is you will temporarily "corrupt" the colors and it will take some deep cleanings to restore things when you put the cartridges back where they belong. I know this will work because I refill my cartriidges with cheepo ink and once stupidly put them in the wrong slots.

But before you try that, it may be a software/driver problem. If you're not getting the proper colors when you test print, it might be worthwhile to uninstall/re-install the printer, see if that helps, and if not, go
here to obtain the latest drivers from Canon. Another great resource (hat tip to Grinler) for general printer problem-solving is @ fixyourownprinter.com

Post some feedback so we all can learn. :thumbsup:
"Love to eat them mousies, mousies what I like to eat; bite they little heads off, nibble on they tiny feet". B. Kliban

#3 twinsdad

twinsdad

• Members
  • 411 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2005 - 11:02 AM

Izzy: A quick postscript before you follow any advice from me. Click on my avatar....it's a photo of me trying to repair something. :thumbsup:
"Love to eat them mousies, mousies what I like to eat; bite they little heads off, nibble on they tiny feet". B. Kliban

#4 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2005 - 03:04 PM

sorry, i should have mensioned that my red, blue and yellow are in the one cartridge (not 3 separate ones) and a seperate black. there could be something wrong with the thingy that they sit in to. blocked?

It was working fine 'till i changed the cartridge. so could be something with cartridge or the holder thingy. i took it out and put it in just in case it was not in right.

Edited by Izzy, 02 March 2005 - 03:06 PM.

#5 twinsdad

twinsdad

• Members
  • 411 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2005 - 03:50 PM

OK, you can't exchange red for yellow to test and I'm assuming you don't have another known-good cartridge to substitute. I'd then take the long-shot that you've a software/driver problem and do the uninstall/re-install plus checking Canon (link above) for the latest drivers. It won't cost you anything but a little time.
After those attempts, I'd go to the fixyourownprinter.com site (link also above) and noodle around in there for threads about clogged print heads. There are some tricks you will see in there about using hot water, alcohol, and other home remedies to unplug the teeny-tiny nozzles in the print head. The nozzles usually get plugged when one ignores the warnings about ink running low and the cartridge goes completely dry. The nozzles then fuse/melt due to overheating without the cooling effect of the ink passing thru them. IMHO, the cleaning tricks work maybe about 1/2 the time and if they don't, you've probably got a head that is permanently damaged. One certain tip...never never never get a piece of cotton (Q-tip, etc.) within 100 miles of your print head...the tiny fibers break off and plug the nozzles forever. No foreign objects near the print head, only clean fluids.
If you do give up on the printhead, you might try Google or Ebay to see what a new one would cost (they install fairly easily on the Canon units I'm familiar with) but the price often approaches that of an entire new printer.
And finally if you do consider a new printer and you do a lot of printing, get one that uses separate cartridges (ink reservoirs without the print head attached) and one that uses four separate cartridges, one for black and the others for colors. Canon is the only one I know of that comes that way, but likely there are others. My i550 cartridges have been refilled a jillion times, always with the cheapest ink I could find, without a problem. But I check them every morning to ensure they've got some ink in them (Canon uses clear cartridges unlike some others who don't want you to know when the ink is gone so they can sell you a new print head) I don't trust the software to tell me when ink is low.

If, however, you do very little printing....I'd go the other way, get a unit that has the print head attached to the ink cartridge so you get a complete new assembly whenever you replace it. Probably a bit more expensive that way, but much more reliable if you're not using the beast every day.

Please post back with comments/results.

#6 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2005 - 10:03 PM

i got through to the canon technical support after about a week trying and they told the print head has gone and probably will end up the rest like it and need it replaced. so i better off with a newie. cause it cheaper.

Edited by Izzy, 02 March 2005 - 10:32 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users