Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Updating Video Card Driver

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Dialer

Dialer

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 AM

Posted 07 January 2008 - 02:54 PM

I'm on a Dell Demension C521, running Windows Vista Home Premium, and trying to determine if there's a recent update to the driver for my 256MB ATI Radeon X1300PRO video card. After having no success whatsoever at the ATI/AMD site (they keep sending me to a gaming resource page, where all I can find is Catalyst drivers), I tried the Google method. Although there were plenty of listings for this card, it didn't make sense for me to look at sites other than the manufacturer's.

So, then I tried using the Device Manager's option for searching for new drivers on the internet, and it returned the mesage that my current driver is up to date. What I don't know is if I can really trust the Device Manager's search, ya know? Especially since I finally found this at the Dell site:

ATI X1300 Pro
Driver
Release Title: Video: ATI 128MB Radeon X600 SE, 256MB Radeon X600, 256MB RADEON X850 XT Platinum Edition, Hyper Memory PCI-Express X16 (DVI/VGA/TV out) Radeon X300 SE, Radeon X1900XTX 512MB, RADEON® X600 256MB HYPERMEMORY, X1300, X1300 Pro, X1300 Pro 256MB, Driver, Windows Vista 32-bit, Multi Language, Multi System, v.8.383_Leg_WHQL_070613a-049454C-Dell_Vista32, A04
Release Date: 7/9/2007
Criticality: Recommended
Description: Latest 8.383 WHQL Vista32 Driver from AMD.

I know squat about drivers, but this appears to be the one I'm searching for, yes? According to the Device Manager, my current driver's release date is 10/24/2006, and driver version is 8.31.100.0. (What's with Dell, anyway? I bought this machine in April 2007. Grrrrr.)

The reason I'm so intent on finding an update is that I appear to be having screen rewrite problems (can start a new thread on this and post a pic if need be). A friend
suggested that I might need a better card, but I thought I'd first see if a driver upgrade was available that might do the trick.

Thanks to anyone who read this far. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 PM

Posted 07 January 2008 - 04:01 PM

Hi Dialer here is the link to the driver, you want the first one http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_catalyst.../common-vista32
It includes the catalyst software and driver for Vista 32bit.
MCP
MSDST

#3 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 AM

Posted 07 January 2008 - 04:01 PM

The catalyst drivers are your drivers.

Edit: I was slower at typing then Monty

Edited by Sneakycyber, 07 January 2008 - 04:01 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#4 Dialer

Dialer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2008 - 04:07 PM

Monty! You always seems to come to my rescue. :flowers: Thanks, my friend. And to you, too, Sneakycyberslowertypist. :thumbsup:

But I don't get this. How would I ever have known I need a Catalyst driver, especially since the Dell site seems to have exactly what I thought I needed?

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 AM

Posted 07 January 2008 - 04:37 PM

All ATI cards/chipsets use Catalyst drivers (that's the generic name).

http://ati.amd.com/products/catalyst/index.html

Louis

#6 Dialer

Dialer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2008 - 04:49 PM

Oh. For me it's a riddle wrapped in a puzzle wrapped in an enigma. Thanks for the info, Louis!

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 AM

Posted 07 January 2008 - 05:26 PM

No problem :thumbsup:, it would be a puzzle for me also...except for the fact that I have two ATI cards and remember when they went to the Catalyst thing.

Louis

#8 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2008 - 06:52 PM

Dito I have had ATI cards in the past :thumbsup:

Chad Mockensturm 

#9 Dialer

Dialer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2008 - 03:08 PM

Current status:

Thanks to all of you, after a 5.5-hour download (on slow dialup if you hadn't already guessed), I've managed to install the new driver, but not without a few complications and questions.

The installer program wanted me to run a wizard that would install something called "Steam" (I think), which gamers might want. When I said "no" to that (can't remember the exact option), I figured only that the wizard wouldn't install and that Catalyst would continue on its merry way. Nope. Suddenly got a bunch of error messages, with the end result that Catalyst claimed that the entire installation was incomplete. But then it asked me to reboot, so I did.

Well, now everything looks good. I confirmed the driver update in Device Manager and am definitely seeing an improvement (not perfection, mind you :flowers: ) in screen rewrite. I have yet to test the update in my graphics programs, though, which is what's most important to me.

I did check the Event Viewer and came up with 11 related errors (see attached log). The two HydraVision.Wizard entries must be related to that Steam install, but I haven't a clue what the other errors mean. Can I just ignore them, or should I be doing something about them?

Thanks gang! :thumbsup:

Attached Files

#10 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2008 - 03:50 PM

Not sure what those exact error codes mean without a bunch of research. If the driver updated and the computer works I would not worry much about it. Unless it becomes a problem then we can research those error codes.

Chad Mockensturm 

#11 Dialer

Dialer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2008 - 04:26 PM

Sounds good to me, Sneakycyber. :thumbsup: Thanks again.

#12 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2008 - 04:36 PM

If I'm not mistaken, Steam is actually some bloatware pertaining to free games from Steampowered.com
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#13 Dialer

Dialer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2008 - 04:46 PM

Sounds right to me, Mark. I rarely rarely rarely accept additional installations along with what I was expecting. In the initial install program, there was also an opt-out checkbox for the installation of Earthsim, which is similar to Google's screensaver. But the Steam wizard really took me by surprise. Very annoying.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users