Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Shareddlls Problem.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 onalandline

onalandline

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 PM

Posted 07 January 2008 - 02:47 PM

When I try to update Nero and iTunes to the latest version, I get the following while it is updating:

"Could not open key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Mocrosoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SharedDlls. Verify that you have sufficient access to that key, or contact your support personnel."

I was updating from Filehippo.com. This is my personal computer running Windows XP Pro SP2.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Support Our Troops!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Tomo2

Tomo2

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 PM

Posted 07 January 2008 - 03:04 PM

Go Start->Run and enter regedit then navigate to the troublesome key and click on it to open it in the pane opposite. If it comes up with the same error as you had or one similar about access or permissions then right click on it and open the permissions dialog. Select your user ONLY and make sure that full access is checked in the allow column, nothing must be checked in the deny column. Try opening the key again.

For that I assumed you are using an administrator account?
Even if you are the setup may be executing on a different account.

Hope that helps!

Sorry forgot to mention backing up the registry. I forget because I do it automatically.

Edited by Tomo2, 07 January 2008 - 05:22 PM.

L&P, World Famous in New Zealand since ages ago!
Posted Image
Avast! Antivirus : Spybot S&D : Trend Micro Housecall : Hosts file : HiJack This
Don't be too open minded - your brains will fall out

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 AM

Posted 07 January 2008 - 03:13 PM

Please be advised to BACK UP THE REGISTRY before making any changes to it. An error here can render your Computer inoperable or unstable.
See Back up/restoring in the BC Tutorial here;
Demystifying the Windows Registry

Or use ERUNT - registry backup tool -
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 onalandline

onalandline
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2008 - 10:58 AM

Thanks for the replies guys. I haven't messed with it yet, but the only user listed with the shareddlls key is "Interactive". I don't know why I am not listed since I am the main user. I will check out all suggestions, but can someone tell me if I am supposed to be listed as a user within this registry key, and not only "Interactive"?

Support Our Troops!

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,287 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 PM

Posted 08 January 2008 - 12:27 PM

Your permissions should reflect something like....Creator/Owner, Administrator(s), System...and possibly All Users (or something analogous). At least that's what I have reflected when I look at my system.

As a point of comparison, right-click on a different key (go up to Explorer) and see what permissions are listed. Should be the same, analogous to what I stated above.

Louis

#6 onalandline

onalandline
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2008 - 04:12 PM

Thanks for the help guys. I appreciate it. I added the proper users and permissions to the registry key for shared.dlls. I think it was just some self-inflicted registry screw-up that was the problem. Thanks again. Happy New Year!

Support Our Troops!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users