Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Deskjet 3900

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 fleamour

fleamour

• Members
  • 297 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 PM

Posted 07 January 2008 - 12:43 PM

Don't think it's the actual printer itself so this may be wrong forum but here goes...

Printing PDF documents over my wireless network is amazingly slow. All other documents are fine. I am using Win2k on my laptop also Foxit PDF viewer, the HP printer is connected to my XP tower. I have seen another post but it was on the Experts Exchange, a subscription based forum. Anyone had joy with that forum, sounds like a good idea.
ASRock Conroe (micro ATX) - Ubuntu 12.04/Win 7 Ultimate (x86)
Intel C2D E8400 3.0GHz/low profile Noctua (single fan)
4GB OCZ DDR2 RAM, GeForce GT220 1024MB

Vintage IBM-T21 laptop, Xubuntu Lucid LTS
512MB KingSpec RAM, 1GHz CPU [T22 Fan], Wireless-G PCMCIA, 7200RPM HDD

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 AM

Posted 07 January 2008 - 07:12 PM

From foxit's support site:

"Why PDFs sometimes printed so slowly?
This is because we haven't optimized our printer drivers, especially for PostScript printers. The PostScript rendering driver provided by Microsoft is not very efficient (for example, data compression is never used). Before it is ready, we strongly recommend our users to use PCL driver instead of PostScript driver. Good thing is that almost all laser printers have a PCL compatible driver."
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 fleamour

fleamour
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 297 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2008 - 08:32 AM

So to clarify I have to update the printer driver on my XP PC? I am confused as HP only supply one driver for there 3940 Deskjet.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,278 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 AM

Posted 08 January 2008 - 12:41 PM

Mark gave you the info that explains the slowness and since there is only one driver listed for your printer, afraid you'll have to live with it.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwar...449&lang=en

Even if it's the same driver you currently have installed, I would still remove the one installed (after downloading the one above) and then reboot and install the one downloaded. Even if slowness is routine for printing PDFs, it might be compounded by possible corruption of the installed driver.

Louis

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 AM

Posted 08 January 2008 - 03:53 PM

Adding to Louis's post, You could try Adobe and see if that makes a difference. Seeing how they're further along with development maybe you can print faster using it. People complain about Adobe's bloatness, which I agree. I find that when installing such, if the option is available, I choose "custom" install instead of "normal" install. It gives you a chance to weed out some of the junk they load in it
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#6 fleamour

fleamour
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 297 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2008 - 06:23 PM

Thanks guys, I will try both suggestions. I have a Pentium III laptop so wanna keep it as uncluttered as possible which is why I currently use Foxit Reader but will try Adobe all the same.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users