Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Boot Disc Or Cursor ?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 helpme plz

helpme plz

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 PM

Posted 07 January 2008 - 10:23 AM

My mother board had to be replaced after fan stoped working and burnt a hole in the board. I put a new board, chip and memory in the case. the store clerk informed me I could upgrade for the same price of replacing my old board and cpu (cirica 2001)

When I start the pc it goes thru the post screen. It then asks for a boot up disk or goes to a cursor. What do I need to do to get xp Pro to start?

thanks ahead of time to all that reply.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 AM

Posted 07 January 2008 - 10:50 AM

You will have to boot with your XP CD and do a repair install. This issue is caused because your installation of Windows now has the wrong motherboard driver.

How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,895 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2008 - 10:56 AM

Soooo...you replaced everything except the hard drive?

And you now wonder why it won't boot? Probably because the drivers and the O/S don't recognize the system, that would be my guess.

I now see that Budapest has already suggested a repair install of XP which should take care of the boot problems.

The activation scenario depends on a number of factors, which probably can best be dealt with by attempting Internet activation.

Generally speaking, when you get a black screen and the cursor sits at the upper left of the screen, you need to run the fixboot or fixmbr command. But no need to do that if you do the repair install.

Black Screen (fixmbr) - http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;314503

Louis

#4 helpme plz

helpme plz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2008 - 11:37 AM

thanks , That was next step but I wanted to check with the pros. hamluis just so you know I used all of the pc old drives,sound card, all in one printer mouse, key board, Etc. everybody is a virgin once

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,895 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2008 - 12:10 PM

Understood :thumbsup:.

But just so that you know...the activation process keys on the hardware (motherboard, video card/chip, sound card/chip, NIC, hard drives, and memory installed). When those items appear to be changed, you likely will have to go to telephonic activation (which will only take 1/2 minutes) and where you will be requested to explain the changes.

If your old system was an OEM system and your license is (therefore) directly tied to that system alone, activation may be delayed.

I've changed motherboards, CPUs, hard drives, video card, NIC, and memory before...but never all at one time. My re-activations have always proceeded smoothly.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users