Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CPU overheating 60-70C

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 cooldudenz

cooldudenz

• Members
  • 250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 AM

Posted 02 March 2005 - 04:12 AM

Hi, Hopfully some1 here can help i have done everything i can think of to stop my CPU from been so hot, it avgs around 53c now, but it used to be 60 - 70 which it still gets to if i play games ect, only thing im running now is this browser window if i do much eles it gets to about 59C
Im running a

AMD althon XP 2400+
with windows XP home.
So far i have brough a better heatsink and fan that should help but doesnt, installed 2 side fans one sucking cool air inside the case right onto the cpu fan area, and another 1 at the back sucking air out, also a tech guy told me that if my CPU is not getting enough power it can cause heating probs because i have alot of high tech cards in there so i brough a 500W psu that has not helped.
Anything ideas? i would love some help thanks heaps.
( Useing BIOS and MBM5 to check temps)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fancyjeff

fancyjeff

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 AM

Posted 02 March 2005 - 05:19 AM

not every mainboard temperature testing system is accurate. make sure you are using different temperature testing software, see if the temperature is same are not. and did you over clock your cpu, if yes, turn it down.

i am sure it has nothing to do with your psu. 300W is very enough.

don't worry about it, it seems all-right.
I hope I can answer your questions as many as I can, and also I will be appreciated if you can answer my questions.

#3 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2005 - 12:08 PM

I don't know if this will help much but this tool is a accurate CPU/system temperature reader that I use. It came with my new computer and it works well. Since it was mentioned above to test on other programs I think we should try out another.

Download it here and see what temp it reads:
http://drivers.softpedia.com/get/MOTHERBOA...nter-1720.shtml

#4 cooldudenz

cooldudenz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 250 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2005 - 03:54 PM

That program didnt work it doesnt support my mobo ive got a ASRock k7 VM4
But if any 1 does no any other programs for telling me my CPU temp i would like to try them out incase mbm is giving me a wrong reading.
I also had Sisoftware sandra 2002 ( very good program tells u everything about ur comp) but it was reading the case temp and saying it was the CPU temp.

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 AM

Posted 02 March 2005 - 07:28 PM

Last time I checked, Everest has fairly accurate temp readings:

http://www.lavalys.com/products/overview.php?pid=1?=en

It is a useful application to have to determine what is on your computer.

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#6 cooldudenz

cooldudenz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 250 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2005 - 08:57 PM

Ok so ive figered out that the CPU temp is at around 52 when not doing anything much, eg now its at 52 and im only in this page and msn, Any 1 no what i can do to lower the temp abit? apart from getting better fans as these r all good fans, all 5 of them...

#7 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2005 - 12:12 AM

The listed operating range for the Athlon 2400+ is between 0 and 85.

Did you build this one yourself? Sometimes, the heatsink's thermal compound isn't quite right. I've read reports of the original stickon compound leaching off. Or if you did your own, perhaps it wasn't enough or too much. Arctic Silver thermal paste is recommended, though if a thermal pad came with the processor that should be first choice.

Is it the processor with the "Thoroughbred" core? That one should have copper on the heatsink - the old aluminum coolers aren't supposed to be sufficient for them.

#8 cooldudenz

cooldudenz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 250 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2005 - 12:35 AM

Yea it was a aluminum heatsink but i got a new one, copper, and i put some paste on both the CPU and the heatsink just a thin layer, about 0.1 - 0.2mm on each, they it looked like the right amount. and yea i used Arctic Silver thermal paste.
So ur saying that 0 - 85C is ok, so been at 54C is fine 4 this processer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users