Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bad Pool Header And Other Blue Screens

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 gjs1701

gjs1701

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 AM

Posted 07 January 2008 - 08:30 AM

Iíve been getting the blue screen of doom quite a lot in the last few days. (Iím using XP Media Edition).

It began with problems getting online with broadband via my ADSL modem. Then it became the blue screen with the message BAD_POOL_HEADER. Error codes were 0x00000019 (0x00000020 0x85E77F98 0x85E77FD0 0x1A07006).

The blue screen became more frequent with other messages DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL and BAD_POOL_CALLER

Later instances result in a corrupted error report being sent to Microsoft.

The problems seem related to my modem, since broadband is the only thing that is affected and simply unplugging the USB cable to the modem immediately triggers the blue screen.

Solutions Iíve looked at online suggest it is a problem with new hardware, but Iíve not changed anything.

Iíve tried Dellís driver reset tool, uninstalling the modem software and reinstalling it and restoring the system to an earlier date, but nothing has helped.

The solution on Dellís support page for fixing blue screen error messages says it may involve reloading Windows.

Is there a simple solution that will not involve me backing everything up, reloading windows and starting afresh?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,830 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 AM

Posted 07 January 2008 - 10:27 AM

When did the problems getting online begin?

Did you check Event Viewer for error messages that appear to be related to the initial problems?

Have you temporarily uninstalled/disconnected the modem and check to see if any problems persist?

Louis

#3 gjs1701

gjs1701
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2008 - 06:33 PM

The event viewer gives the the following three warnings repeatedly:

The General Purpose USB Driver (adildr.sys) service failed to start due to the following error:
The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it.

The SCNDRVP service failed to start due to the following error:
The system cannot find the device specified.

The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
nvatabus
nvraid

-------
I have left the modem disconnected and haven't had any blue screens.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,830 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2008 - 06:50 PM

OK, thanks.

The SCNDRVP service is related to a Plustek scanner (hoping that you have one installed), if legit.

NVATABUS.sys is a nVidia driver, http://www.file.net/process/nvatabus.sys.html

ADILDR.sys looks to be firmware-related to your modem.

Each of these services ought to be capable of manual start in the Services group.

What I would do is try to start all three, run chkdsk, turn system off.. Reconnect modem while system is off.

Reboot, check Event Viewer for those same three error messages or new ones relating to those files.

If nothing, I'd let it ride. If errors, I would try updating each of those drivers/files on my system.

And...remember that malware can come disguised as any number of legit files.

Louis

#5 gjs1701

gjs1701
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2008 - 09:52 PM

I don't have a Plustek scanner, although I did install some software from a Plustek disc. That was 12 months ago, so I guess that particaular driver has been harmlessly on my PC since then.

In services, the NVidia driver was apparent, but the other two were not. The NVidia one was already started. I ran chkdsk and then shut down, plugged the modem back in and rebooted. Success! I could connect to the net with it.

Then I disconnected and tried again. Disaster! It wouldn't connect.

I get the same three errors in the event viewer.

I have subsequently updated the drivers through Windows update. I've also removed and reinstalled the driver for the modem.

#6 gjs1701

gjs1701
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2008 - 10:36 AM

After 2 and half frustrating days, of trying to figure out what was wrong, getting blue screens, using a very slow dial-up connection, realising my on-line back-up had been closed down, buying an external had-drive to back-up, google searching, registering with new forums to ask technical questions, learning new troubleshooting procedures like event viewer and memory testing, and generally being very, very frustrated and stressed, I've got it sorted.

I went through the Dell troubleshooting, which threatened to require reloading Winows, and the first step was reboot, press F8 and start with last know good configuration. And it worked!

I can't believe it was so simple and that I didn't think of it.

Anyway, Hamluis, thank you for your help and suggestions. I will be sure to come back here if I have any more problems. :thumbsup:

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,830 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2008 - 12:17 PM

LOL, good job :thumbsup:.

You've learned a lot, you feel more comfortable with your system...it was worthwhile.

All of us will be here if/when the need arises, happy computing!

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users