Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Access Vista When Xp Was Installed

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 gneb

gneb

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 AM

Posted 07 January 2008 - 05:43 AM

i'm not sure if this is the right place for this one...
my friend's laptop has pre-installed vista but wanted me to install xp since some of her important software can't run on vista.. i made a partition for xp so i won't have to remove vista in case she changed her mind. everything went well until i installed vistabootloader. there's a boot option for both xp and vista. vista worked but when i tried to click xp, the computer just restarted.. and that's what always happen from then on everytime i click xp.. what do u think is the problem? and by the way, what if i just decided to really remove vista, is that possible? because i tried to delete that partition with vista but there's no option for "delete"

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Tomo2

Tomo2

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 AM

Posted 07 January 2008 - 03:22 PM

I didn't think you needed a boot loader to do that. You just create a boot.ini that shows you a choice and save it on the main partition. Can you access the XP partition from vista?

To edit Vista’s boot manager you have to use the command line BCDEDIT utility. To access BCDEDIT, run the Command Window as an administrator and type in BCDEDIT.
Sadly BCDEDIT isn’t an easy tool to use, because it’s purely command line-driven. So, you can use EasyBCD by NeoSmart Technologies. EasyBCD has a GUI frontend to BCDEDIT, and makes it much easier. Get It Here
In EasyBCD:

To configure the bootloader go to “Configure Boot” – you’ll see the two entries, for XP and Vista. To change the name of Windows XP, just overwrite “Earlier Version of Windows” with “Windows XP” and click Save Settings.

Hope That Helps!

L&P, World Famous in New Zealand since ages ago!
Posted Image
Avast! Antivirus : Spybot S&D : Trend Micro Housecall : Hosts file : HiJack This
Don't be too open minded - your brains will fall out

#3 gneb

gneb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 AM

Posted 09 January 2008 - 12:25 AM

i should have waited for your reply instead... what i did already is i formatted the partition that has the xp os and then re-installed xp again.. and now there's no more option for boot up. the computer automatically boots up with xp. i can only access the docu in vista if i browse it on my computer. the option before to boot up with vista is no longer there.. i'm very confused already so i guess i'll just remove vista and completely shift to XP. but how do i remove the vista partition?

#4 EwenB

EwenB

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 AM

Posted 09 January 2008 - 04:48 PM

Use BCDEdit to repair the boot option in Vista. Be patient wait for replies before you jump in at the deep end.

#5 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 AM

Posted 12 January 2008 - 08:50 PM

I wrote a tutorial a while ago for a client of mine. It shows how to do exactly what you're trying to do: http://www.userfriendlysf.com/vbp/

#6 Starbuck

Starbuck

'r Brudiwr

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 PM

Posted 17 January 2008 - 05:05 AM

When you install XP after Vista.... XP will over write Vista's ability to boot.
To reinstall Vista's boot facility:
Restart your pc with the Vista dvd in the drive.
On the main installation screen, instead of clicking 'Install now' .. click 'Repair your Computer'
This displays the System Recovery options box.
Select Microsoft Windows Vista and click Next.
On the list of recovery tools... click on Start up repair.
When finished.... remove the Vista dvd and click Finish.
Your pc will now boot into Vista instead of XP.
You can select XP from the boot up screen by selecting Early Version of Windows
or you can change this by using the method previously mentioned. (BCDEdit)

BBPP6nz.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users