Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Getting rid of white background!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 8wildhorses

8wildhorses

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 PM

Posted 02 March 2005 - 02:29 AM

Hello - I have been working on this problem off and on for a year now. At the moment I have a photo of my cat that I want to place on a different background. I have spent two days carefully erasing all the background colors so now I have a cat surrounded by white. How do you get rid of the white area? It is the same with cropping a picture using different shapes. You get the photo inside the shape but the unused white area is still there. I have probably 8 or 10 photo editing programs (everything you add comes with one or two) and I haven't found the answer. I feel like this should be an easy task since I see composite photos everywhere. Like a person standing at the Grand Canyon when in the original picture he was standing in his backyard. I hope I have explained this problem well enough for someone to recognize what I am trying to accomplish. Using Microsoft Publisher with clipart you can layer items and make them transparent but I can't get the white in a photo to become transparent. Please help. If there is a Photo editing program on the market that will allow you to build composite images please let me know. I also need to make my cat a little smaller. I resized it a couple of nights ago but I am not sure which program I used and I can't find it now. I find that I have to use one feature in one program. save it back, re-open in another program, etc. then I lose track of which program does what. Please help!! Thank you in advance - Marilyn Montoya

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2005 - 07:33 AM

I also need to make my cat a little smaller. I resized it a couple of nights ago but I am not sure which program I used and I can't find it now. I find that I have to use one feature in one program. save it back, re-open in another program, etc. then I lose track of which program does what. Please help!! Thank you in advance - Marilyn Montoya

InfranView

You could try InfranView. It is a neat little (free) Graphic Viewer. (For non-commercial use) Which allows you to re-size/re-sample. I use it and love it. :thumbsup:

Some IrfanView features:
Many supported file formats (Click here for the list of formats)
Multi language support
Thumbnail/preview option
Slideshow (save slideshow as EXE/SCR or burn it to CD)
Show EXIF/IPTC/Comment text in Slideshow/Fullscreen etc.
Support for Adobe Photoshop Filters
Drag & drop support
Fast directory view (moving through directory)
Batch conversion (with image processing)
Multipage TIF editing
Email option
Multimedia player
Print option
Change color depth
Scan (batch scan) support
Cut/crop
IPTC editing
Effects (Sharpen, Blur, Adobe 8BF, Filter Factory, Filters Unlimited, etc.)
Capturing
Extract icons from EXE/DLL/ICLs
Lossless JPG rotation
Many hotkeys
Many command line options
Many PlugIns
Only one EXE-File, no DLLs, no Shareware messages like "I Agree" or "Evaluation expired"
No registry changes without user action/permission!
and many more
Click here to see a screenshot of IrfanView.

Edited by scarlett, 02 March 2005 - 07:39 AM.

Posted Image

#3 chiefmasterjedi

chiefmasterjedi

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 PM

Posted 05 March 2005 - 05:57 PM

After you finish editing your photos save them as a .gif or .png, both formats support transparency where as .jpg (normally used for photos) do not support transparency and will write any transparent areas with white once saved.

If you are cutting out a pic to be placed on a new background at a later date, then use the graphic program's native format (IE: .psd for photoshop) this will keep the original quality and any layers you may have until your ready to continue working with it.

Chief.

#4 8wildhorses

8wildhorses
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2005 - 08:07 PM

Hello Chief - Thank you for your help! Would you recommend Adobe Photoshop as one of the best all round photo editing programs? Marilyn

#5 chiefmasterjedi

chiefmasterjedi

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 PM

Posted 07 March 2005 - 06:52 PM

Yeah, it's photoshop or nothing for me, but i'm a bit bias :thumbsup: .
I've tried Paint Shop Pro and even uninstalled it the first day when it was shipped with my new computer. Macromedia Fireworks is a good program but i never took the time to learn it and i've tried a couple of the free applications (Gimp being one of them) and i have to say "you only get what you pay for".
I have Photoshop7 but if your new to photoshop and don't mind spending a bit of money then i suggest getting Photoshop CS.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users