Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Safe To Turn Off Hdd When Laptop Is In Hibernation?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 FreshFrost

FreshFrost

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 AM

Posted 07 January 2008 - 02:02 AM

Being extremely paranoid about backups, I ALWAYS use the "Safely Remove Hardware" function before unplugging my gear. But I also know that if I've already shutdown my computer (or, in this case, laptop), it's safe to just go ahead and unplug my devices.
However, I've recently taken to hibernating instead of shutting down, so I wonder ...

Is it safe to unplug my HDD (which is powered by its own power cord - not the USB drive) from the wall when my machine in hibernation?
Or would it be better to leave the HDD plugged into the wall and just flip the "OFF" switch on it?
Or neither? ...
If I unplug it anyway, what are the consequences?/Best alternative(s)?

(Sorry bout the slight question-overdose ... it's just that I would *love* to be able to unplug that HDD from the wall each night, because I'm trying to do my part to stop global warming, and as you know, unplugging your appliances at night is a start :thumbsup: ...)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ComputerWhizz7

ComputerWhizz7

• Members
  • 408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 PM

Posted 07 January 2008 - 03:04 AM

When you computer is in hibernation mode, the computer dumps all information on the RAM and dumps it on the hard-drive. so your laptop is off yes and you can switch it off at the wall. But remember to turn it back on before bring the computer out of hibernation.
I came, I saw, I conquered. - Julius Caeser

#3 FreshFrost

FreshFrost
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 AM

Posted 12 January 2008 - 01:10 PM

But remember to turn it back on before bring the computer out of hibernation.

Haha! Had to learn that by trying-and-doing! lol
Should've read more carefully :D
In any case, thanks for the reply and good advice!

Edited by TRUEfrancesca, 12 January 2008 - 01:11 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users