Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Boot Slowdown: Chkdsk "can't Open Summary/log File"

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Michael07

Michael07

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 PM

Posted 06 January 2008 - 09:47 PM

Just ran CHKDSK and wish i hadn't, b/c now my boot-up process is slowed by 15 seconds by a screen that says "Couldn't open the summary/log file". i believe it's CHKDSK trying to open this file, it's on the same color screen, but i really don't know. actually, i have NO idea what they're talking about <s>, but it sure would be great to solve that problem and get rid of that screen. doesn't say it's not there, just says it can't open that file, but maybe it's not there -- but maybe it's missing, i don't know.

does anyone know or have a guess about what log file they're talking about? or what i could do/change that would allow the file to be opened?
A bird in the hand ... makes typing difficult.

Mikl

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 PM

Posted 07 January 2008 - 01:59 AM

Do you have DisKeeper installed on your computer?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 Michael07

Michael07
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2008 - 05:37 PM

yes, how'd you guess -- diskeeper wanted me to run CHKDSK so i did. now i hate diskeeper ! <s>

Mikl

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,848 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2008 - 06:35 PM

Generally speaking, when attempting a defrag and the suggestion is made to run chkdsk or error-checking...the hard drive needs to have chkdsk /r run on it before a defrag operation can complete. Start/Run...type in chkdsk /r , OK and answer YES. Reboot.

How To Run CHKDSK In XP - http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...b;en-us;Q315265

Louis

#5 Michael07

Michael07
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2008 - 09:15 PM

thx, i'll try that ...

Mikl

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 PM

Posted 08 January 2008 - 02:25 AM

I believe that within DisKeeper you can deselect the option to create a summary/log.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#7 Michael07

Michael07
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2008 - 05:57 PM

i'll look for that - that's probably the summsary/log they're talking about. thank you.

Mikl

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users