Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trouble Assigning Drive Letter

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jefe_hombre

jefe_hombre

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 PM

Posted 06 January 2008 - 08:51 PM

Hello folks,

A friend has a computer that would not boot. He said he "thought" there were issues with viruses. I took the hard drive out and connected it to another computer using a USB adapter as an external drive. When I check in Administrative Tools, I can see the drive with no letter assigned. However, when I right click on it the only option I have is "delete partition". The drive is listed as a primary partition and healthy. Any ideas?

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 PM

Posted 06 January 2008 - 09:27 PM

Plug the Hard Drive back into his computer and insert your Windows XP cd. Enter the Recover Console and run a check disk. (command is CHKDSK)

Gavin Seabrook

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 PM

Posted 07 January 2008 - 08:19 AM

Well, not to be obvious, but...the first thing that should be a priority...would be scanning the drive with a reliable AV and at least one reliable malware program..before doing anything.

When you say in Administrative Tools...do you mean in the Disk Management module? The drive does not appear in My Computer/Explorer? What file system is listed for this drive in Disk Management?

For that matter...what O/S is supposed to be on this drive which won't boot?

You might also check the jumper setting for the drive in the enclosure..l.if that jumper is not set to what the enclosure manufacturer wants, it could be viewed as a problem.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users