Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Not Starting!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 pomtuftsgalore

pomtuftsgalore

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 AM

Posted 06 January 2008 - 08:20 PM

hello!!!
i have a computer which will not start windows XP
Its stubborn about what keyboard it wants and mouse...
I have the XP disc and tried to repair...
Just didnt work
How can i uninstall windows and reinstall through the xp disc???
Is it possible???
thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 AM

Posted 06 January 2008 - 08:26 PM

Can you please elaborate on what you mean about the keyboard and mouse. What errors are you getting? please write them down in their entirety. Are the keyboard and mouse USB? How did you go about trying to repair it with the XP CD?
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 pomtuftsgalore

pomtuftsgalore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2008 - 08:36 PM

hiya
well The keyboards and mice just did not work no error message but they would light up and the would just go dead..But have had no problems before with this..Im thinking maybe my drivers have problems..
the xp disc came up with options and i choose to repair to hopefully reinstall any missing bits preventing me to log on or get anywhere .
It completed it but crashed and im back to square one..
I would like to wipe the computer completely but cannot get into windows to uninstall it..
thanks for getting back to me much appriciated

#4 pomtuftsgalore

pomtuftsgalore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2008 - 08:41 PM

sorry im not great at explaining things..
I tried a variety of both usb and connector for mice keyboards..sometimes loading up the ouse would not work but keyboard worked and vise versa
i cant remeber the steps through the repair i used another thread to help
thanks
make tea not war

Edited by pomtuftsgalore, 06 January 2008 - 08:42 PM.

#5 Michael07

Michael07

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 AM

Posted 06 January 2008 - 09:32 PM

well, when you want to run an XP Repair install, you want to wait for the SECOND chance to select the Repair option -- selecting Repair at the first opportunity won't give you what you want. Did you try it that way?
A bird in the hand ... makes typing difficult.

Mikl

#6 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 06 January 2008 - 09:46 PM

This is a long shot.

Restart your computer, and boot go into bios settings.
Root around for something called USB Legacy Support.
If it's disabled, enable it.
When you exit bios, save the change.

You should see something on startup that tells you what key to use to enter setup.

On my computer, tapping the F1 key gets me into bios.

#7 Manshead

Manshead

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 PM

Posted 07 January 2008 - 05:09 AM

The steps below explain a repair install. If you wish to do a fresh install section 4 explains, but make sure you have all your drivers.

First insert your Windows XP disk in the CDdrive. Reboot the computer and enter your BIOS and set the 1st Boot Device=CD. Power down.

1. Power up; the Windows XP disk will boot with the setup screen for XP.

2. At the prompt to setup Windows XP, press ENTER
Do NOT press R for Repair Consol;

3. Press F8 to accept the Windows XP Licensing Agreement.

4.Next you are presented with the options:
>To repair the selected Windows XP installation, press R
>To continue installing a fresh copy of Windows XP without repairing, Press ESC.
Press R - Do NOT press "fresh copy" or all your data and programs will be overwritten.

5.Setup will copy files from the CD to your harddrive.

6.When the computer restarts, it will tell you to press any key to boot from the CD; do NOT press any key, just leave it alone-after a few seconds the reinstall will continue. IF you press a key, it will mess up the reinstall and you may have to start all over. I don't know why M/Soft set it up this way, but it can be confusing.

7. The system will again restart before booting to your repaired Windows XP environment.
You'll then be invited to register with Microsoft and to enter the names of the people who'll be using the system.

8. After the repair reinstall is complete, you should not have to reinstall any video, soundcard or chipset drivers. However, you MAY have to reinstall any downloaded Service Packs or updates from Microsoft. Check these out to see if you still have them or not.

9. Power up, enter the BIOS and return your setup to A drive = First Boot Device, Harddrive 2nd, CDrom 3rd. Press F10, save and exit the BIOS.
Handle every situation like a real man.
If you cant eat it or drink it.
Walk Away, it Aint worth the hassle.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,287 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2008 - 08:28 AM

<<I would like to wipe the computer completely but cannot get into windows to uninstall it..>>

You don't need to get into Windows to uninstall it...in fact, it's impossible to uninstall from within Windows.

If you are sure that is what you really want to do...go into the BIOS, change the first boot option to CD/DVD drive. Save the settings.

Insert the XP CD when system starts to boot, it will display a message indicating that you have to hit any key to boot from CD.

Eventually, you will get a screen reflecting all existing partitions, simply delete all and you have a clean hard drive.

Clean Install Procedure with Illustrative Screen Captures - http://www.theeldergeek.com/xp_home_install_-_graphic.htm

Louis

#9 Manshead

Manshead

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 PM

Posted 07 January 2008 - 08:38 AM

I agree with Louis, but surely he should have a drivers disk, or at least backup the drivers to save a lot of work later.

Edited by Manshead, 07 January 2008 - 08:39 AM.

Handle every situation like a real man.
If you cant eat it or drink it.
Walk Away, it Aint worth the hassle.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users