Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless Keyboard/mouse Troubleshooting

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 hpfreak26

hpfreak26

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 AM

Posted 06 January 2008 - 08:01 PM

OK, I've been struggling with this problem for a couple hours. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

So I started out with Windows XP (SP2). Then I installed Linux (Mandriva, specifically). My wireless keyboard/mouse combo worked perfectly, no need to even configure it. Then I started troubleshooting another PC. All hell broke loose.

Both my keyboard and mouse connect to a wireless "hub" thing, which connects to my PC with two different cables. One is the typical mouse cable, which goes to a PS/2 outlet. The other one (for the keyboard) goes to a USB port, that I've always used along with the USB => PS/2 keyboard adapter. All was doing well until I took out the adapter to check another keyboard.

That all got worked out, except the keyboard never reconnected. I admit I did reconnect it while the computer was on. I later learned that that is a NO-NO.

So it turns out that however much I reconnect it, (with or without the adapter) the keyboard never gets recognized on the hub. However, the mouse works just fine, the keyboard is the only thing that doesn't connect.

But it gets more complicated. I used another keyboard (USB) to see if I could fix it. The only problem is that the backup keyboard only works during the screen where you choose what OS to load. Well, it also works in linux, but that doesn't help fix my problem. So I can only select Windows XP, but not get past the little window where you have to press Ctrl + Alt + Del.

So I plead the experts at BleepingComputer. Help fix one of the two problems; my wireless hub not recognizing my keyboard, or my keyboard not working in XP. Thank you.

EDIT: Forgot to mention all mouse/keyboard paraphernalia is Logitech.

Edited by hpfreak26, 06 January 2008 - 08:09 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 AM

Posted 06 January 2008 - 09:08 PM

Check Device Manager and see if there are any yellow exclamation points by the USB controllers. I'm guessing it's a Windows driver error
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 hpfreak26

hpfreak26
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2008 - 09:25 PM

The thing is, I can't even get into Windows. My backup keyboard stops working before the Ctrl + Alt + Del prompt.

Any other suggestions are much appriciated.

#4 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,541 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2008 - 10:13 PM

Personally, I am not a big fan of wireless keyboards or mice. All you have done is to eliminate about a foot or two of cable.

What happens if you plug the keyboard and mouse into the computer & bypass the hub?
In the beginning there was the command line.

#5 hpfreak26

hpfreak26
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2008 - 10:15 PM

You can't. It's all wireless.

Thanks for the feedback, I'll get back to you tomorrow (after school, I guess)

#6 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,541 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2008 - 10:22 PM

I know that. What I am saying is bypass the hub
In the beginning there was the command line.

#7 hpfreak26

hpfreak26
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2008 - 11:01 PM

I guess hub isn't the right word. It's just the wirless keyboard and mouse transmit a signal to the receiver. The receiver plugs into the computer.

Night all.

#8 hpfreak26

hpfreak26
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2008 - 04:56 PM

Alright, I finally figured out my problem. And I hate it when I find someone with the same problem as me and they figure it out without explaining. So I'll elaborate.

My wireless keyboard is pretty much broken, I think. I'll do some more troubleshooting, but that's what I'm guessing. I'm not sure why Windows wasn't accepting my wired keyboard either, but I luckily had a second one laying around and I got that one working. So I can now enter Windows and I will begin my quest of restoring my wireless hardware to it's previous state. Thank you for your ideas and effort, all who answered.

Later.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users