Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CELL PHONES!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 StarrFireMyst

StarrFireMyst

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 AM

Posted 01 March 2005 - 11:15 PM

What do you think is better......Cingular or Verizon?
Also.....what do you think is the best brand cell phones.....Nokia.....Samsung.....Motorola....LG.....etc.....
Also, is LG a good brand? I don't know too much bout it.....I heard that they are good, but one of my friends had one and it kept breaking.....
Any help is GREATLY Appreciated!!!! :thumbsup:
~*~StarrFireMyst~*~

~My Words Just Like a Mentioned *Kiss*~

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 AM

Posted 01 March 2005 - 11:31 PM

Wow thats a hard one. I say go for Verizon. Cingular/at&t pays monkeys in some unknown land to help you on tech support(no offense AT&T). Unless you know another language well then you won't be able to understand anything they say almost. I know because I tried there service. 2 hours on the phone and the phone still will not work.

I prefer Samsung or Motorola. Nokia does not have enough of a selection I say.

Just my input im also new to the land of cell phones..

Edited by cowsgonemadd3, 01 March 2005 - 11:35 PM.

#3 frankie12

frankie12

• Members
  • 941 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 AM

Posted 03 March 2005 - 11:30 PM

What do you think is better......Cingular or Verizon?

Verizon, is a much better cell phone company, i also have had an LG phone for 2 years and it works great and i haven't had a probelm with it yet.

Edited by frankie12, 03 March 2005 - 11:31 PM.

#4 steven

steven

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2005 - 01:37 AM

Hello,
Your question is not easy to answer. It all depends on your situation. ie. where you live, where you're going, time of day you're doing the most talking.
Verizon is big on charging roaming fees, out of area fees, and out of service area disconnects. (Remember that roaming can bite you both ways. Sending + receiving; especially if you're on spring break in somewhere USA.))Verizon also has a problem with dropped calls. Its what happens when you switch towers, also known in some cases as switching carriers, as you're traveling. With Verizon, the Devil is in the details. Read the fine print carefully for the plan you would choose for the area in which you would do the most of your talking. They will charge you for any fee they can get away with!
Cingular has some good nationwide plans. If you're not switching your phone when you switch carriers, customer service shouldn't pose a problem. The law may say that portable #'s are doable, that doesn't mean that your present carrier has to be obliging about losing you as a customer. (1st hand experience.)
I currently use Sprint. Their customer service is the worst, but their coverage for the areas I travel through is the best. (I travel at least 2K miles a week.)
If you travel out of your town often do not use Nextel. They're coverage is terrible.
TDMA, CDMA, GSM. These acronyms should help you to decide which carrier to use. You cannot use a phone that is TDMA, on a CDMA system, or Vise-Versa. Ditto for GSM. GSM is the wave of the future here in the USA. GSM is all you can get in Europe, and that is what ATT was switching to before Cingular's buyout of ATT.
Motorola phones have the best reputation for all calling plans. Samsung falls in close behind. The difference will be in TDMA, CDMA, GSM.
Go for a plan that has a "try it" period. Make sure if you travel often that you travel during the test period.
I hope this helps. This was a very frustrating issue for me also. Remember. If they say its free, you're going to pay the tax on the free service. There is no free ride as far as the US Government is concerned!
Steven

#5 Bear

Bear

• Members
  • 342 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2005 - 02:11 AM

I would choose Nextel over both of the companies you mention, just my 2
Posted Image

My System Specs

Comptia A+, Network + & MCP certified.

#6 steven

steven

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2005 - 01:22 AM

Hello Bear,
I have a fried who uses Nextel and it really sucks. I can rarely get him to answer when I call. I always get his voice mail. This is what happens with Nextel when you don't have decent coverage. And no, hes not using caller ID to screen his calls. We work together, so it's imperative that we can communicate when necessary.
Bottom line. What are your specific needs. Where do you live. Where do the folks you're calling live. What time of day will you make most of your calls. What plans do your friends that you will be calling most have. Most carriers now have cell to cell free minutes, provided you have the same carrier.
steven

#7 nmdamgud

nmdamgud

• Members
  • 357 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2005 - 02:05 PM

cingular has been bought out by at&t, keep that in mind...

we have had alltel for 3 years now..we each (myself, hubby, and our son) have our own plan, rather than a "family plan", or "add another line"...with extensive free mobile to mobile service.

since we have no land line (i have cable 'net), my phone has 1300 anytime minutes, and the other two each have a 700 minute plan. we have been completely happy thus far.

i have had a motorola flip phone for 2 years...and have had nothing but trouble with it..so i am, as we speak, awaiting my new phone, which is one of those audiovox "slide" phones. my son has a motorola, and has had no trouble with it..my nokia (which i consider "throw-away" phones) lasted 3 years...and i paid $.01 for it with my plan. i HAD an LG for a loaner for a month and HATED it.

good luck with your choices!

#8 StarrFireMyst

StarrFireMyst
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2005 - 10:31 PM

THANK you everyone SO much for all your help!!!! Hopefully everything goes well!!! :thumbsup:
~*~StarrFireMyst~*~

~My Words Just Like a Mentioned *Kiss*~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users