Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Registry Fubar?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 sloopercat

sloopercat

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 PM

Posted 06 January 2008 - 06:48 PM

I deleted a registry file due to an EmailSpy problem. Now my printer does not work. Spooler problem. I deleted the VxD file from the services folder. Any way to fix that? My computer repair option will only allow a restore.

Here is the malware thread:http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic119122-15.html

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,034 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2008 - 07:25 PM

Try this.. Restart the computer and during the boot sequence press F8 untill you get to the boot options select last known good configuration. This should restore the registry. Post back if this does not work.

Reference: Windows document: to restore the registry

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,714 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2008 - 07:30 PM

I'd be leary of trying that given the malware that you have just gotten rid of. I don't think you'd want to restore that! My thought: uninstall the printer software then reinstall it.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:

Edited by Orange Blossom, 06 January 2008 - 07:32 PM.

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,034 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2008 - 08:09 PM

"Your HijackThis log does not show any obvious signs of malware. The suggestions I made in a previous post would help in downsizing your computer's start up. " As taken from post previously linked to.. He didnt have any to begin with.. Housecall only found 7 cookies.

Edited by Sneakycyber, 06 January 2008 - 08:12 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#5 sloopercat

sloopercat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2008 - 06:29 PM

Tried F8 and last known, did not work. I think the problem is I deleted the VxD file from all my Control Sets. I also uninstalled printer. Cannot re-install because spooler is not working. I tried manually turning that on before, and that does not work because files are missing. Next?

#6 CTH_Tom

CTH_Tom

• Members
  • 295 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2008 - 06:36 PM

I would give the SFC tool a try.
In case you don't know about this utility-
http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html
X

#7 sloopercat

sloopercat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2008 - 06:59 PM

I would give the SFC tool a try.
In case you don't know about this utility-
http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html

I get nothing after typing in sfc / scannow. No reponse at all.

#8 CTH_Tom

CTH_Tom

• Members
  • 295 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2008 - 07:11 PM

You have to be careful of the spacing between the slash mark. Looks like what you posted has an extra space between the /scannow. Here copy and paste this into the run box sfc /scannow and hit the enter key.
X

#9 sloopercat

sloopercat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2008 - 08:17 AM

Ran the program, got the message to change the source path, since I only have the recovery CD. Loaded the I386 file, made the change to redirect the source path to C:. Ran it again and it just ran through the process with no message, no prompt at the end? Still not working.

Can I copy that VxD file from another computer and load it into my registry?

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,857 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 PM

Posted 17 January 2008 - 08:32 AM

A .vxd file is a driver.

http://filext.com/file-extension/VXD

It is not a Windows system file, therefore should have no impact at all on system operations. If it's a valid "helper" file for an application installed, installing that app again should resolve the problem. If it's not a valid file, then it probably should be treated as malware.

I just took a look back at your original post and you mention deleting this file from a Services folder. What would the path for that be, please?

And what is the exact wording of the error message re your print spooler?

Louis

#11 syunichi

syunichi

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2008 - 09:09 AM

how about a system restore? Will it work? Just a thoughr.
Posted Image

Tech Support: "Do you have any windows open right now?"
Customer: "Are you crazy woman, it's twenty below outside..."

#12 sloopercat

sloopercat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2008 - 11:33 AM

how about a system restore? Will it work? Just a thoughr.

Sure it will, but I believe would have to reload a bunch of programs.

#13 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,076 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2008 - 11:37 AM

System Restore "should" fix your registry - but will not take care of files that have been deleted. SFC.EXE will take care of system files, but not files that aren't a part of the "system" category. You may have to replace the VXD file manually, or do a repair install of Windows (which will also repair the registry). Depending on the make and model of your system you may be able to do this with a copy of an appropriate version of an XP installation CD.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#14 sloopercat

sloopercat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2008 - 12:48 PM

I only have the restore CD, it is a Gateway system. So, where can I find the VxD file? Does it need to come off my restore CD? I have access to other systems with XP on, can I just copy and paste from another computer?

It does not appear that a repair install is possible with the disc I have.

Edited by sloopercat, 17 January 2008 - 12:49 PM.

#15 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,076 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2008 - 02:38 PM

Most likely the vxd file will be in the i386 directory of the restore CD (or it may be on your hard drive). You may have to expand it to get at it, if so post back and someone can help out with that (I haven't done that since the WFW 3.11 days).

I wonder why the vxd file is needed tho' - it seems that vxd files were virtual drivers used in the early versions of Windows: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VxD

A search of my XP installation only shows one vxd file on the system - a legacy driver for sound.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users