Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Scanner Question?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Shorty123

Shorty123

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 PM

Posted 06 January 2008 - 06:06 PM

I will try to explain this as best I can. I have an old [in PC years] Canoscan 620P Scanner. It is in Mint condition and hate to give up on it. As you probably already know, Parallel Ports are almost extinct now. Up until last weekend I had it hooked up to an old Pentium II 350 Meg machine. It gave up the ghost and I pitched it. Now I am on my 2 year old Dell with no Parallel Ports.

My question is, can the Parallel Port x USB adapter work for Scanners also or are they just for Printer adaption.
Where ever I find them [on the net] they only mention Parallel Printer to USB.

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks
Shorty

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2008 - 07:46 PM

Adapters/converters dont always work right.
You can always add a PCI parallel port card for about 20 bucks or so if you have a free PCI slot.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#3 Shorty123

Shorty123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2008 - 08:04 PM

Thanks Eyesee. I agree with what you said. I just did some more searching on Google and it is illadvised. For the price of the cable and the likeyhood of Driver problems with XP, it is advised to just buy another inexpensive USB scanner.

#4 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2008 - 08:26 PM

Why dont you consider a multifunction printer?
In the beginning there was the command line.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2008 - 12:37 PM

For consideration/ideas: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Ca...p;name=Printers

Louis

#6 Shorty123

Shorty123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2008 - 05:02 PM

Why dont you consider a multifunction printer?

Yes that is always a possibly, especially with the affordable price now. Its just that we have so dern many good working printers in the house now. I might get the Canon LiDE 90. I like the sleek design. I dunno.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users