Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive Space Missing

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 d3k0y

d3k0y

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 PM

Posted 06 January 2008 - 05:52 PM

I have read through a few of the other posts and I have also looked around on the internet and cant seem to fix this problem. I just recently reformatted, am copying over my files, and the hard drive is saying I have no space left...when it used to have plenty to hold all of these files. The discrepancy is about 200GB worth out on a 700GB partition. I have defragmented the hard drives (RAID array) very well. But there still seems to be no space for these files that used to fit perfectly fine with about 100GB left over. I have read on one of the posts that the root directory may not accept so many files...but that wasnt the case before. They all used to fit fine. Any ideas?

Thanks a million.

d3k0y :thumbsup:

***EDIT***
Ok, I found one of the problems (it must be more than one). I shut down Spybot S&D resident (checks the registry changes) and I got back 60GB worth. Is there a reason a program such as this would eat up so much space? But still missing quite a bit...any other ideas? Another quick note...I know where this error is occurring. When I hit properties of my "Admin" account under Users, it says that there are 5600 files at 660GB...but when I open the folder and highlight everything, it says that it is 4200 files at 450GB. Why would it do this? What are those other files?

Edited by d3k0y, 06 January 2008 - 07:43 PM.

"I wonder if I've been changed in the night? Let me think. Was I the same when I got up this morning? I almost think I can remember feeling a little different. But if I'm not the same, the next question is 'Who in the world am I?'"

"Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici..."

"Not much really" - Sidis

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 d3k0y

d3k0y
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2008 - 08:56 PM

OK, thank you. But I finally found it with a Disk CleanUp Program. From some bizarre reason I had 200GB of temp files and 40GB of System Restore files.

Thanks anyway.

d3k0y
"I wonder if I've been changed in the night? Let me think. Was I the same when I got up this morning? I almost think I can remember feeling a little different. But if I'm not the same, the next question is 'Who in the world am I?'"

#3 FreshFrost

FreshFrost

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 AM

Posted 07 January 2008 - 05:26 AM

Wow ... thank-you for posting this! It's really helped me with sorting out some of my own memory loopholes! Wish I had been able to help you with your search ... and that I had seen this sooner! :D

Edited by TRUEfrancesca, 07 January 2008 - 05:27 AM.

#4 d3k0y

d3k0y
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2008 - 01:39 PM

Glad I was able to help. Just another little piece of info. I used a program called TuneUp Utilities that can be downloaded from download.com. It is one of their most downloaded utility softwares. Unfortunately it is only a 30 day trial, but it is fully functional...so just uninstall and reinstall. And it helped me free up the hard drive space when other programs didnt notice where the space was missing to. It also helped customize quite a few other things. Enjoy.

#5 Juha

Juha

• Members
  • 512 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 AM

Posted 07 January 2008 - 01:49 PM

Wow, did you just say 200GB of temp files! How long and hard have you been using the computer?!

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,119 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2008 - 04:23 PM

Certainly needs to adjust the amount of space allocated for such...

Louis

#7 d3k0y

d3k0y
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2008 - 02:58 PM

The sad part is that I reformatted last week. The temp files were from all of my videos. I have put all of my DVDs on an external drive and compressed them (slightly). When I transferred them back over to my main partition, I got the BSOD because of a memory issue. I think, for some reason I dont understand, it made a bunch of temp files of the videos that were uncompressing and transferring. I was transferring around 500GB of videos. Thanks for the help and responses.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,119 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2008 - 04:27 PM

Hmmm...the only time that I would expect temp files of any sort to turn up (other than those which should be open) would be if the system suffered some unexpected shutdown or interruption.

You might want to take a look in Event Viewer and see if such is documented.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users