Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Desktop Icons, Cant Right Click....help

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 taetae_34

taetae_34

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 PM

Posted 06 January 2008 - 05:24 PM

I have NO desktop icon, I am NOT able to right click because it doesnt bring up anything. All I can do is run certain programs thru the Ctrl+Alt+Delete thingy! I need my computer and would just rather lose everything saved on my computer because I cant afford another one! I have tried system restore and everytime I restore and restart the same thing keeps happening! I just want to reboot the computer and start over! PLEASE HELP

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Tomo2

Tomo2

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 AM

Posted 06 January 2008 - 06:06 PM

Do you have the taskbar etc. on your screen? explorer.exe may be corrupted. I did that and fixed it by re-installing windows. If you can see the taskbar and everything else then backup your important documents and emails. Otherwise take your chances with it. You can get a boot disk for ME at http://www.bootdisk.com/

BTW can you start in safe mode? does that work ok

If nothing works try your installation CD to re-install. If you don't have a disk start your PC in DOS mode and at the prompt navigate to C:\WINDOWS\OPTIONS\CABS\SETUP.exe to install windows

Edited by Tomo2, 06 January 2008 - 06:07 PM.

L&P, World Famous in New Zealand since ages ago!
Posted Image
Avast! Antivirus : Spybot S&D : Trend Micro Housecall : Hosts file : HiJack This
Don't be too open minded - your brains will fall out

#3 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 PM

Posted 06 January 2008 - 07:03 PM

does this help?
http://www.petermartinconsult.supanet.com/...ws/showicon.htm

or this ?
http://support.gateway.com/s/issues/2-1330790523.shtml

but the latter gives indication of an infection causing your dilemma

what is your antivirus program and when did you last fully update and run it?

one presumes you do not have 'control' over the computer so cannot go on the internet to grab any programs to clean the computer?

#4 taetae_34

taetae_34
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2008 - 01:03 PM

I have NO desktop icons all that shows up is the wallpaper. Before all this happened, my computer updated my windows explorer and thats when the problems started! My virus protection is outdated and my computer wont even let me run it. I am able to get to the internet and music programs but some programs will not run. If i could get a way to just reboot or reset the WHOLE system that would work, I dont care about losing information.

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 13 January 2008 - 02:04 PM

Ctrl+Alt+Delete,
click on the Processes tab in the Task Manager. Locate Explorer.exe in the list and then click End Process. When it stops, click on File and then Run and type in explorer.exe in the box and hit enter. This should restart explorer. Hopefully your icons and taskbar will reappear.

#6 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 957 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 PM

Posted 14 January 2008 - 07:28 AM

My virus protection is outdated and my computer wont even let me run it.

Why can't you update your virus files? Which virus checker are you using?

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users