Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Weirded Out Keyboard

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OS_Challenged

OS_Challenged

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 AM

Posted 06 January 2008 - 03:39 PM

Hello All,

My kids computer and/or keyboard has developed something strange and I can't figure it out. This started a couple of day ago, whenever you type on the keyboard you don' always get what you type a G, you get NG, and if you type an N you also get NG (I'm using capitals for emphasis, that that is what comes up), hitting the backspace causes an H, but H types an H, however the character to the left is deleted. For example, if you typed THE, you would get HE. The Left arrow key cause an apostrophe, and so on.

This occured while playing a game, so I'm assuming that some key combination caused this to occur, but what it could be I have no clue. Does anyone out there have any ideas how I can fix this?

Thanks,

OSC
These days, I spend a lot of time thinking about the hereafter...
I go somewhere to get something, and wonder what I'm here after.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 PM

Posted 06 January 2008 - 03:54 PM

What kind of computer and what kind of keyboard? Has anything been spilled on it? If its a USB keyboard try a different USB port.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 OS_Challenged

OS_Challenged
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 AM

Posted 06 January 2008 - 10:07 PM

What kind of computer and what kind of keyboard? Has anything been spilled on it? If its a USB keyboard try a different USB port.

The whole system is a Gateway, probably 3-4 yrs old, maybe 5. I know it's not the keyboard, I have hooked up another keyboard, and we got the same results. It has to be something within Windows, some key sequence the kids pushed while playing their game (Harry Potter - Prisoner of Azkaban); but as to what that sequence could be is beyond me.

The hookup is not USB, its the older type (I can't think of the name), round green plug, 5 or so pins, in a circular shape, with one black locater pin so it gets plugged in correctly.

Thanks,

OSC
These days, I spend a lot of time thinking about the hereafter...
I go somewhere to get something, and wonder what I'm here after.

#4 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 PM

Posted 06 January 2008 - 10:17 PM

Any Norton products installed?
In the beginning there was the command line.

#5 RknRusty

RknRusty

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2008 - 11:29 PM

Any Norton products installed?

How do you suppose Norton could cause that?

#6 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2008 - 01:38 AM

Norton can cause problems with a LOT of things!

#7 RknRusty

RknRusty

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2008 - 11:23 AM

Norton can cause problems with a LOT of things!

I'm aware of that. I wasn't challenging you, I just thought maybe you knew of something specific. I am a NIS 2008 user and thought maybe I could learn something by asking.

#8 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2008 - 11:34 AM

Someone recently had a problem where tehy could not type a capital S.
Tried two keyboards. Both do the same thing. On other systems they are fine.
Works fine in safe mode. Never did hear the resolution though

Have you tried it in safe mode yet?
Or another keyboard?

#9 Rocco5955

Rocco5955

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2008 - 01:55 PM

Perhaps the kids inadvertently remapped the keyboard, and/or changed the language settings and auto correct feature in Word. I have disabled the advanced language settings that come with IE7, but you might want to look at them. There's a toolbar to the left of the task bar that IE7 sets up by default. Just go to the settings and then advanced, and disable the thing. That is unless you use more than one language. This will also effect Outlook and/or Outlook Express, as they are the default editors for those software applications. If you have Word installed, go to tools>options. Go to the spelling and grammar tab, and check out the custom dictionaries for what dictionary you are using. Then go to tools>auto correct... and check the settings there. I don't use auto-correct, because I use a third party dictionary that underlines the misspelled words that I type.

"Understanding is a three-edged sword." -- President John Sheridan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users