Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Malware/spyware, Search Engine Redirection, Eg. Shopica, Toseeka

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Dr. Awesome

Dr. Awesome

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 AM

Posted 06 January 2008 - 01:58 PM

Over the last week I have noticed that whenever I use Yahoo Search Engine and click on any of the results I am redirected to another site. Most often this site is toseeka, shopica, or google. If I use the back button to return to the original search results page and re click on the link it will work as displayed and correctly. Basically, it only happens once with each search. Needless to say this is very annoying, and my concern is more that this is a sign of a more malicious program acting on my computer. I have run Windows Defender, AVG spyware and virus, spybot, and adaware, all have detected problems and they have been removed but the situation continues. Thankyou very much anyone for your help.

Dell Inspiron 600m
Windows XP
Internet Explorer

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,329 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2008 - 10:26 PM

Run an online scan like Eset/NOD32

Then run a scan with free home version of SUPERAntiSpyware .
From safe mode
Restart your computer.
When the machine first starts again it will generally list some equipment that is installed in your machine, amount of memory, hard drives installed etc. At this point you should gently tap the F8 key repeatedly until you are presented with a Windows XP Advanced Options menu.
Select the option for Safe Mode using the arrow keys.
Then press enter on your keyboard to boot into Safe Mode.
Do whatever tasks you require and when you are done reboot to boot back into normal mode.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
safe mode Windows Vista

Windows Vista is similar to Windows XP for starting in Safe Mode.
Turn the computer on or Restart the computer
Start tapping the F8 key. The Windows Advanced Boot Options Menu appears. If you begin tapping the F8 key too soon, some computers display a "keyboard error" message. To resolve this, restart the computer and try again.
Ensure that the Safe mode option is selected (the top option)
Press Enter. The computer then begins to start in Safe mode.
When you are finished with troubleshooting, close all programs and restart the computer as you normally would

Please let us know how it is running after scans and a Reboot.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Dr. Awesome

Dr. Awesome
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2008 - 12:27 PM

Firstly thankyou very much for your prompt response

I first did the online scan you suggested Eset/Nod32 it found only one threat:
win32/trojandownloader.small.NZE trojan

in C:Windows/system/32/users 32.dat

I believe this was the cause of the problem as after reboot it has not reoccurred. I followed your instructions and did a safe mode scan using superantispyware, but it found no problems after the eset/nod32 scan. I was surprised that an online scan found what so many previously mentioned used antispyware/virus could not find. But cheers to them and cheers to you for suggesting it.

Thanks again so much for the help,
Keep up the great work fighting the shamefully large number of sadistic b&*tards

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,329 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2008 - 02:43 PM

You're welcome. Having removed and quarantined the malware you now need to set a new System Restore Point. Since the scans aren't allowed access to he restore files the original malware can still be in there. So to prevent accidentally restoring your system to an infected state,we'll delete old and make anew one.
The easiest and safest way to do this is:
Go to Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools and click "System Restore".
Choose the radio button marked "Create a Restore Point" on the first screen then click "Next". Give the R.P. a name, then click "Create". The new point will be stamped with the current date and time. Keep a log of this so you can find it easily should you need to use System Restore.
Then use Disk Clean Up to remove all but the most recently created Restore Point.
Go to Start > Run and type: Cleanmgr
Click "OK".
Click the "More Options" Tab.
Click "Clean Up" in the System Restore section to remove all previous restore points except the newly created one.

Create a New Restore Point
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 Dr. Awesome

Dr. Awesome
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2008 - 08:10 PM

Done and done,

Thanks again very much

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,329 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2008 - 08:38 PM

You are quite welcome. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users