Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Frequent Lock-ups After Winxp Pro Reinstall

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Stormleader

Stormleader

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 PM

Posted 06 January 2008 - 01:29 PM

Hi again...
been haveing a LOT of problems with getting my "clean slate" up and running... after finally getting online through bellsouth tech support and getting drivers installed I still find myself with odd behavior, the worst bein that the comoputer freezes up so I have to do a hard reboot. it usually occurs when downloading win updates (which never get finished), when trying to load adaware definitions (which never get started) or using any antivirus program as well as trying to install games...
I've looked for a couple of hours now for posts that would help, and I'm sure theyre here somewhere but I'm gettin REALLY sick of rebooting this computer over and over...]
also the one time I DID get spybot to worki found a couple of viruses on it just before it crashed...dont know how they got in there...I will post a hjt log on the other forum if I can ever get it downloaded...thanks a bunch!

Update: it seems that after I turned off that annoying little thing called teatimer i could update adaware and run a full scan...coincidence? setting a system restore point after finding some privacy issues(tracking cookie)...
hopefully this fixed it but I'm gonna post a hjt log anyway...
let ya know

Update: Never mind I still need help...it locked up as I was doing the system restore point and typing this...good thing I have two computers

Edited by Stormleader, 06 January 2008 - 01:30 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Stormleader

Stormleader
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2008 - 05:59 PM

so, noone wants to take this? or can't? :flowers:
just tried downloading IE7 and got yet another lockup...this is fun... :thumbsup:

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 PM

Posted 06 January 2008 - 06:57 PM

Check the hard drive...

a. Run chkdsk /r from the XP CD, Recovery Console.

b. Run a diagnostic from the manufacturer of the hard drive's website.

Reinstall...was that a clean reinstall or just another on top of the other?

Louis

#4 Stormleader

Stormleader
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2008 - 07:01 PM

did chkdsk already earlier at startup and no anomolies...and yes it was a reinstall on top of an old one

now theres files I cant even access...spybot wont come up...wonder how far this thing can fly... :thumbsup:

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 PM

Posted 06 January 2008 - 07:47 PM

Repair installs (on top of a problematical install) are not guaranteed to alleviate whatever may have been wrong, especially so if system files are affected, without being the cause of such effect.

What does Event Viewer reflect as the last 4/5 errors demanding attention?

What is the Event Viewer, and Should I Care - Ask Leo! - http://ask-leo.com/what_is_the_event_viewe...uld_i_care.html

Louis

#6 Stormleader

Stormleader
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2008 - 05:57 PM

not sure whatcha mean, or how to send you the info, but I did bring up event viewer...
just stupified at all this...

#7 Tomo2

Tomo2

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 AM

Posted 07 January 2008 - 06:15 PM

Its probably not going to be a simple file error causing this since you can no longer open spybot SD. It would be better to go chasing after the viruses in your system. BTW adaware and spybot conflict on some levels. Just use spybot. Do you have any antivirus protection on your PC? Adaware and spybot don't do the biggies. I recommend trying to install Avast! antivirus and running a boot scan before windows. Anyway - the event viewer, if there are errors just copy the text into your next reply.

Hope that helps!

Edit: Online scanners if you can't install antivirus programs...
Housecall Anti Virus - Can use with Firefox
Panda Anti Virus - IE only
Bit Defender - IE only

If you already have an anti-virus program, update it and let it check as well.

Edited by Tomo2, 07 January 2008 - 06:21 PM.

L&P, World Famous in New Zealand since ages ago!
Posted Image
Avast! Antivirus : Spybot S&D : Trend Micro Housecall : Hosts file : HiJack This
Don't be too open minded - your brains will fall out

#8 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 PM

Posted 07 January 2008 - 06:30 PM

start at the basics maybe?

and maybe asking the obvious; but which antivirus program do you have installed?

next, what other protection programs do you have?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users