Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wierd Laptop Battery Problems.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 sparkyuiop

sparkyuiop

• Banned
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 PM

Posted 06 January 2008 - 11:59 AM

Hi all. Heres a good one. I have an AVERATEC 7100 laptop that I took for repair. It did not boot, light up or anything when the AC or battery was applied.
I took this thing apart and with all power removed shorted an inline fuse on the power PCB to earth. A small spark appeard and then nothing. I applied the AC again and it started up as usual.
Everything was running normally so I inserted the battery. The battery light came on and Windows reported it was charging.
After reaching 21% Windows said the battery was not charging and the laptop shut off. It would then not switch on again untill doing the short.
Any light shed on this would be great. I have seen some strange stuff before but this is an oddie. Intelligent guesses welcome!

Edited by sparkyuiop, 06 January 2008 - 12:01 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 vapidweasel

vapidweasel

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 AM

Posted 06 January 2008 - 12:58 PM

Well I have an Averitec as well (an older machine, don't remember the model number) and I had some similar battery problems.

My first guess would be that the battery is toast. Is your machine running XP? I found out during my battery issues that XP drained the battery unnecessarily and thus shorted it's half life by not properly routing power through the chipset when running background applications. There is supposedly a patch out there made by a third party programmer but I was never able to find it.

You seem more knowledgeable in circuitry than I, so take this with a grain of salt I guess, but I'm dealing with my own power issues on my current Laptop. A more knowledgeable friend postulated that my AC set up was somehow over loading my board and power system within my machine, slowly damaging it. This of course, would be irreversible.

One thing is, with XP's known battery issues, I wouldn't trust a thing it said regarding how much the battery is charged.

Your situation certainly is weird, that's for sure. Keep us posted.

#3 sparkyuiop

sparkyuiop
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 PM

Posted 06 January 2008 - 01:54 PM

Yeah I recon you could be right about not trusting what XP says. I never really thought of that. I don't know what else to suggest to the guy other than to replace the battery. I just hope that cures it for him. Either way it prooves to me that no matter how much you think you know about computers or electronics, you'll never know it all!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users