Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Office 2003 Locks Up

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 kellyking

kellyking

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 PM

Posted 06 January 2008 - 11:25 AM

please help--installed extra ram in computer and now office 2003 locks up. What can I do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 PM

Posted 07 January 2008 - 05:14 PM

Is the computer running fine other than Office, since adding the RAM?
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2008 - 03:42 PM

How much memory did you add? How much memory shows up in System Properties? Are you sure the memory you added is compatible with what you have? What type did you buy and the make and model of your computer? At what point, when you open Office, does it freeze? Do you receive any error messages?
Mark
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#4 kellyking

kellyking
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2008 - 07:53 PM

I added 512 MBPC3200. I just removed it and my computer is still freezing in Office. I am able to open my calendar, open my mail and then it freezes. No error message, just the hourglass. When bought the memory card, I told Circuit City my model number and this is the one they sold me. My model # is SR1215CB, Compaq, Windows EP. The computer is 3 years old. Maybe it is time for a new one??????????

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2008 - 09:10 PM

Try looking in the Event Viewer and see if there are any listed for about the same time that Outlook messes up
http://ask-leo.com/what_is_the_event_viewe...uld_i_care.html
Mark
Mark
Posted Image

#6 kellyking

kellyking
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2008 - 10:30 PM

I ran "eventvwr" an each time "application hang" is listed as either the explorer or microsoft office. It all started happening on January 1. Didn't install the memory till January 3 and I have taken that out and it is still doing it.

Edited by kellyking, 08 January 2008 - 10:30 PM.

#7 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2008 - 09:24 AM

Can you uninstall Office in Add/Remove programs then reinstall it?
Mark
Mark
Posted Image

#8 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2008 - 01:42 PM

I forgot to add, try doing this in safemode, so there isn't much running in the backround to interfere with the installation. To enter safemode, reboot the computer and when you see the black and white screen start tapping the F8 key
Mark
Mark
Posted Image

#9 kellyking

kellyking
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2008 - 07:10 PM

Hi Mark. It won't even let me uninstall it. It hangs up there as well. I appreciate all your help. I couldn't even answer your e mail till now. Giving me fits. Guess it is time to take it somewhere do someone who can help..............Marianne

Edited by kellyking, 09 January 2008 - 07:11 PM.

#10 Rocco5955

Rocco5955

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2008 - 11:26 AM

In any MS Office application go to Help > Detect and Repair, and follow the prompts. If the installation files were deleted, you will need the media for M$ Office on hand to repair the application. This often helps to correct a corrupted installation.
One question that I have, is have you been able to keep up to date with the updates for the product. You should be up to SP3. You can find out what level you are at by going to any Office application, going to help > about (blah blah blah application) and looking at the box that comes up. If you are not at the current level, you can download it from Microsoft at microsoft.com/office, and look for office updates.

"Understanding is a three-edged sword." -- President John Sheridan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users