Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Waiting For The Network

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 CaRiSsA

CaRiSsA

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 PM

Posted 06 January 2008 - 10:21 AM

Hello, a friend referred me here when my problem was too big for him to help =)

My old USB wireless adapter crapped out and i bought a new Belkin USB wireless adapter for my Dell laptop. It can see the networks (mine and one-to-two neighbors) but won't connect to any of them. Of course the kind people at the Belkin tech support blamed my router. But I have another computer in the house that is on a wireless PC card and is connecting fine to the router.

I haven't dealt too much with networking but I'll tell ya, everything the tech guy at Belkin did say to try was stuff i tried early on.

So anyway... I can see the networks on the "View Available Networks" list but when i try to connect a pop-up comes up and says "Please wait while Windows connects to (network name) network." And below that, it says "Waiting for the network..." while a little bar below shows it's so-called progress. What happens is that this pop-up just goes away after about a minute with no error message but yet it never connects.

Here's my set up: I have a modem from the cable company that is connected to the wireless Netgear router. Right now i am connected with a cable to the router so i know the router IS working.

I have reset the modem & router (more than once) and rebooted the laptop many, many times
I have uninstalled and reinstalled the wireless adapter
I have tried to update the drivers
I have tried to match up the settings between the laptops wireless settings and the desktops settings. But the desktop is old and the settings are not all the same.
I have removed the network from the list of preferred networks and then added it back in.
Restored the router to the factory defaults.

I spent over 4 hours last night battling this thing and i'm starting again early this morning. If it's not fixed sometime this afternoon, i am just taking this adapter back and getting another. I feel that it's just some setting that's not right but I have no idea what it is.

I'm hoping someone can help, i really don't want to go back to the store. I had my kid with me yesterday at the store and bought the wrong thing on our first trip and had to already take that back and exchange it for this Belkin piece of pooh.

OH i should mention also that the Belkin software does not show ANY available networks which i just don't understand. But from researching on the internet last night, their software is junk and no one uses it anyway

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 drymobius

drymobius

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2008 - 04:08 PM

Hi CaRiSsA, sorry to hear about your connectivity. Let's try something you haven't mentioned before.

1) Security - if the Netgear wireless router accepts WPA or WPA2 personal security, go into the administration page and set this up. Get info from the website on the IP address to do this. For WPA or WPA2, you'll need to create a passphrase that will allow you access to the wireless router.

2) Firmware - again, check the Netgear website for the most recent version of the firmware for your version of the router. Download and upgrade to this version, but do this after you've tried setting security.

Give these a try; hope you connect!

Edited by drymobius, 06 January 2008 - 04:10 PM.

drymobius

#3 CaRiSsA

CaRiSsA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2008 - 10:00 PM

Thanks, i will try the security thing tomorrow. I got tired of messing with it earlier and packed it back in it's box :flowers:

I haven't tried that yet though, so i'll give it a whirl. I did try to download the most current firmware for the router last night but... there was no application in the zipped folder? Just an adobe file and an .img file. I figured it was just down temporarily or something. :thumbsup:

#4 CaRiSsA

CaRiSsA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2008 - 08:15 PM

There is not a WPA option on the router settings. Only WEP stuff.

I had the security settings turned off before but i turned them on again to see if maybe that did something. Nope.

Here's a screenshot of how far i get.. http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee7/Car...The_Network.jpg

I always tell people that i don't do printers. From here on out, i'm telling them i don't do printers OR networks! :thumbsup:

Edited by CaRiSsA, 07 January 2008 - 08:16 PM.

#5 CaRiSsA

CaRiSsA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2008 - 08:39 PM

I found out what the problem is and just thought I'd share in case anyone sees it in the future.

Our company IT guy came by our branch yesterday and I ran my problem by him. The first question he asked me is how old my router is. Well, it's at LEAST 4 years old. Apparently my router is A & B only and the adapter only connects with routers that are also G. So i just have to get another adapter that will work with the A & B setup.

Thanks Drymobius for trying to help, i appreciate it very much!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users