Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I have serious modem problems but is it the modem?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 AM

Posted 01 March 2005 - 09:50 PM

My internet is slower than anything ive ever seen. But then sometimes its lightning fast! Is it the modem which is new or is it the pc?

It acts like its downloading something but I cant see anything. What could be wrong?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 AM

Posted 01 March 2005 - 10:12 PM

Hi CGM3

It could be that its just your Internet Service Provider. Can you go to their web page and see if they have posted anything about a service interruption or maintenance?

I use a little program called NetStat Live that shows your connection speed right on your computer. I let it run all the time and if I think my connection is slow or fast then I just bring it up and I'll can tell better whats going on.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• BC Advisor
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2005 - 10:17 PM

Some things to consider...

Press Ctrl-Alt-Delete to open the Windows task manager (wtm). (assumes you have XP) Select the networking tab and look at you adapters network traffic. If you have something going accross - it should show here. With dial up, I think you can also double click the dual monitor icon - that corresponds with your connection (In system tray - lower right) and look to see your send/receive statistics. Keep in mind, if your new modem is a winmodem... that relies on CPU/ computer power vrs an upper end modem that does a lot of processing on the modem itself.

The other thing... it truly may be the internet. Your ISP may be maxing out its connectivity. That fluctuates with their usage.

You can also use the performance tab (wtm) to look at how hard your computer is working.

Good luck

rigel

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#4 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2005 - 12:02 PM

Thanks I will try that! Oh when Oh when can DSL come to my area?

I have a good modem I think. Its brand new cost 42.99 for it. My CPU is a AMD 64 3200 with 512 pc3200 ddr 400mhz ram if it wants to use my pc let it have fun.

I will try that program. It says im connected at 49.2kbs but its so slow! I mean somtimes fast then so slow it will take 20secs to load google.com

I bet its my ISP because they want me to get dsl there almost in my area.

#5 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2005 - 12:32 PM

I bet its my ISP because they want me to get dsl there almost in my area.

That is possible as they might be working on the wires getting ready and that could cause you problems as they switch things around.

But just think how much you will like DSL! Then, if you are like most people when you first get it you can connect so fast that you will start to complain about websites with slow servers cause now you can tell. :thumbsup:

I know a retired gentleman who just got DSL when he moved. Before that he had dialup @ 28.8. Every morning his routine is to get a coffee and go to his favorite websites and check around his regular stuff. That would take him about 2 or 2 1/2 hours. With DSL it only took 20 minutes and then he got bored cause now he had nothing to do!

:flowers: :trumpet:

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#6 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• BC Advisor
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2005 - 01:44 PM

Sounds like you have the horsepower, but are at mercy of your isp, and the rest of the internet to get the info to you. I know how you feel... smiles... I work at a place that has a T3 line and go home to 46.6. DSL here is $40 a month soooooooo Im stuck until I get a raise.

have a good one...

Rigel

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#7 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2005 - 04:31 PM

Did you get NetStat? If you did then bring it up and close your browsers and everything. If everything is closed and you see the numbers jumping around then you might have a problem because nothing should be incoming or outgoing on your connection when you have everything closed. Keep an eye on it for a few minutes. The numbers to watch are under Current under both Incoming and Outgoing.

#8 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2005 - 07:19 PM

There is a bandwidth tester extension for FF, which you might want to use to check your connection speed. The problem is not with your computer, but with the KIND of connection, which, at it's best, is slow and always seems to vary everytime you connect. You will be like a pig in swill when you can get DSL.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#9 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2005 - 02:54 PM

Well guess what? It was the crappy modem. It was brand new but for some reason a dunce. I got a new one and im off to browsing fast again. Well it will also be 40.00 when it comes in my area and I cant afford it neither. Thats just to much unless I need it badly for my website.

Thanks all for the help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users