Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firewall Problems In Vista

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Paulrenno

Paulrenno

• Members
  • 302 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 AM

Posted 06 January 2008 - 08:42 AM

Im struggling with putting a firewall onto my Vista laptop.

I found Zone Alarm free v7 marked as 'Vista' on Download.com but after downloading it, it said it was not compatible tith my system.

I tried Comodo firewall and that downloaded ok and installed ok, but I lost the WLAN connection - being new to this firewall i havent got a clue how to mess with it.

In the end i had to uninstall both and am left with teh Windows Vista firewall until help arrives!

Any help anyone please!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 AM

Posted 06 January 2008 - 09:19 AM

PCTools has a vista compatible firewall, as does Kerio.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 SuperTruper

SuperTruper

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2008 - 09:23 AM

Hi!

Sorry for your troubles. This usually means you either have a version of ZoneAlarm that is for XP, or you're having issues installing it. If it's meant for Vista, Vista may not know it, and assumes it isn't compatible. You more than likely have an option after/during install when the compatiblity warning comes up, to ignore it, or install anyways. Or, something similar.

Try deleting it completely off your system if any of it got installed, and try downloading it from here -
http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file/fid,...scription.html#

That's a link directly to the Vista ONLY download. It should work. Good luck and hope that helped!

Edite: And just to add, I downloaded/installed the Kerio firewall and used it for maybe a couple weeks. Horrible in my opinion. Not too user-friendly, and just wasn't that satisfied with it. I don't recommend it - haven't heard of PCTools though.

Edited by SuperTruper, 06 January 2008 - 09:25 AM.

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2008 - 09:31 AM

I didn't like the Kerio either, but the PCTools was OK for me (made by the same people who make Spyware Doctor ( http://www.pctools.com/firewall/ )

Also, I forgot this tool: http://www.sphinx-soft.com/Vista/index.html It's a firewall control utility for the Vista firewall

I've used the ZoneAlarm firewall and it just doesn't like me. I've tried the Comodo firewall and it's just not usable enough for me.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Paulrenno

Paulrenno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 302 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2008 - 01:59 PM

Thanks for your ideas.

What is the Vista Firewall like? Do you think I could get away with this? The laptop is used daily - is the firewall strong enough or do you think i should try to get Zone Alarm working?

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2008 - 02:41 PM

Everyone has a different opinion about firewalls - mine is that I like to exercise control over what's going out and what's coming in. So far none of the Vista firewalls have allowed me to do this in the detail that I'd like to (I used the Sygate Personal Firewall in XP).

Because of that, I use the Vista firewall inconjunction with an application called WallWatcher - which monitors my network and lets me know of the attempts at accessing my network. Then I usually block this traffic through the router, occasionally venturing into the Vista Firewall settings to create a rule as needed.

#7 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 PM

Posted 06 January 2008 - 03:33 PM

I've tried all of them. I have Free ZoneAlarm working on both Ultimate and Business. If you do choose to install ZA, uncheck the box that offers "ZoneAlarm Spy Blocker toolbar"!
It is the Ask.com websearch toolbar. :huh:

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#8 Paulrenno

Paulrenno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 302 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2008 - 05:59 AM

Thanks for your advise. Im a bit uncertain whether to try Zone alarm 7.1 if it will install if not, I may try PC tools or even stick with Windows own Vista firewall (if you think that is secure enough - I have it blocking everything at the moment) I must admit, the computer starts quicker because it doesnt have to load zone alarm etc but i dont know if it is safe enough - im used to not having the xp firewall on.

#9 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2008 - 11:36 AM

I upgraded from Vista Home Basic to Home Premium while I had ZoneAlarm installed. No problem. :huh:

Then, I decided to upgrade to Ultimate and the install went fine but I got the BSOD for ZoneAlarm. :huh: I uninstalled it in Safe Mode and now it's fine.

So it took the first upgrade but faulted on the second. Strange. :huh:

I believe I will try the PCTools as I already have Zonealarm on a couple of others in the house.

DR

#10 Paulrenno

Paulrenno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 302 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2008 - 02:05 PM

Thanks for all your help! I downloaded from the link given from pc world for the Vista Zone Alarm v7.1 and there was no problems.

I must say, I did have the Comodo firewall on (which I have read good stories about) but beware if you want to uninstall it!

Thanks all again

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users