Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Rundll32.exe & Wuauclt.exe Taking Up All Cpu

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 bloomcounty

bloomcounty

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 PM

Posted 06 January 2008 - 03:07 AM

I've got a new dv9500t that I removed Vista and did a fresh XP Home SP2 OEM install on, with the following drivers:

- Intel Chipset Driver (8.3.1.1009)
- Intel Matrix Storage SATA (7.8.0.1012)
- nVidia Graphics Driver (101.34)
- Realtek Ethernet Driver (Ver. 5.680)
- UAA Driver (1.00 A)
- Realtek HD Audio Driver (183)
- Motorola Modem Driver (6.12.07)
- Synaptics Touchpad (9.1.11 REV Q2)
- Quicklaunch Buttons Driver (6.20 Rev. B )
- Intel Wireless Drivers (11.5.0)
- 5-in-1 Card Reader Driver (1.01.10 Rev. A)

Things seem to be running fine except for two times (so far) my computer has frozen up (both in the last two days).

The first time, it happened after I ran a scan disk check and then defragged the hard drive. After I restarted and logged on, it took like two minutes for just my desktop image to come up, and after waiting for another two minutes and nothing happening, I had to hold the start button down to shut down the laptop (I made sure the hard drive light was not running when I did so).

The second time it did it, which was today, it just did it after starting up my computer -- but I was able to find out what was causing it (I think). My computer came on okay, but then it froze up. Task Manager showed that rundll32.exe was taking up 50% CPU and wuauclt.exe was taking up about 20-30% -- neither of which is normal (the rest was taken up by avgemc.exe, which is about normal). So that maxed the CPU out at 100%, so everything froze. I had to do the hard shutdown again like the first time.

I'm guessing the rundll32.exe and wuauclt.exe processes were related, but have no idea why they'd be doing this -- especially since wuauclt.exe seems to be related to Automatic Updates, and I have those turned off. However, I do see that the Automatic Updates service is set to Automatic and is enabled (this is the default setting in XP, as far as I know). The description for it says that it's for both Automatic Updates and for just using Windows Updates in general -- and that you can't do Windows Updates without it. However, at this link: http://www.theeldergeek.com/automatic_updates1.htm it says that "If you choose to update manually this service is not needed."

1. Are those two processes related?

2. Why is this happening?

3. Is the description of the Automatic Updates service in XP Services wrong and the info at theeldergeek.com is correct and I don't need this service set to automatic?

4. If so, is that what's causing the problem, or is it something else?

5. If I don't need that service to do manual Windows Updates, do I set it to disable or manual?

Any help is appreciated -- thanks! :thumbsup:
My stats: Windows XP Home SP2; Firefox 3.0.14 w/ Ad-Block Plus; IE 6.0 (used only for monthly Windows Critical Updates); ZoneAlarm 6.1.744.001 Free; AVG 8.5 A/V Free; SuperAntispyware Free 4.28.1010

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 PM

Posted 06 January 2008 - 09:06 AM

I would suggest disabling it and then updating as the Elder Geek has described. This was an issue with Windows Updates not long ago - but it appears to have been fixed with subsequent updates.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 bloomcounty

bloomcounty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2008 - 11:15 AM

I would suggest disabling it and then updating as the Elder Geek has described. This was an issue with Windows Updates not long ago - but it appears to have been fixed with subsequent updates.

1. So I should set it to "disable" and not "manual" and then try to do Windows Updates just to test? (Note that I usually only do actual updates once a month, a week after they've been out. Plus, right now, there won't be anything for me to actually update -- the only thing I can really test is whether or not it lets me check for updates. Is that good enough to test?)

2. If it was fixed with subsequent updates, then why would I be having the issue on this new laptop?

3. Black Viper says that you do need this service to do manual Windows Updates:

http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/Services/A...tic_Updates.htm
Take note: Manual updates via Windows Update Version 6 web site still requires Automatic Updates, Cryptographic Services, Background Intelligent Transfer Service, and Event Log to be running. Place all three, plus Automatic Updates, in automatic if you do not wish to update manually.

...actually that's a bit confusing, as it seems to say you do need it, but then says to play it in automatic if you do not wish to update manually -- so that's a bit contradictory...?

Also, at this link: http://www.fixmyxp.com/content/view/67/40/ it says:

Windows Update now has requirements in place which requires 3 system services be set in a specific way. The 3 services are, Automatic Updates, BITS (Background Intelligent Transfer Service), & Event Log. Failure to have them running and set to Automatic results in the following error screen:

Posted Image

So it sounds like you do need it? (So you'd have to turn it to Automatic every time you did Windows Updates?) I'm confused here...

Looking forward to hearing back -- thanks!

Edited by bloomcounty, 06 January 2008 - 11:47 AM.

My stats: Windows XP Home SP2; Firefox 3.0.14 w/ Ad-Block Plus; IE 6.0 (used only for monthly Windows Critical Updates); ZoneAlarm 6.1.744.001 Free; AVG 8.5 A/V Free; SuperAntispyware Free 4.28.1010

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 PM

Posted 06 January 2008 - 12:26 PM

FWIW - I keep it running all the time. I have it set to prompt me to download then ask me if I want to install.

I haven't experimented much with the settings - so I'd have to suggest that you disable it to see if it works (if it doesn't, then just re-enable it).

This is the most common reason for this issue - but it's by no means the only issue. Have you checked your Event Viewer for errors occurring around the time of the shutdowns? Particularly those in the System and Application categories?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 bloomcounty

bloomcounty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2008 - 01:23 PM

This is the most common reason for this issue - but it's by no means the only issue. Have you checked your Event Viewer for errors occurring around the time of the shutdowns? Particularly those in the System and Application categories?

I have 10 errors in the Application log at the time -- but they're only two different errors (repeated five times in a row). They are:

wuauclt (3724) An attempt to open the file "C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore\Logs\edb.log" for read only access failed with system error 32 (0x00000020): "The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process. ". The open file operation will fail with error -1032 (0xfffffbf8).

...and then:

wuaueng.dll (3724) SUS20ClientDataStore: Error -1032 (0xfffffbf8) occurred while opening logfile C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore\Logs\edb.log.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users