Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Complete Pc Backup In Vista Without Dvd?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 torden

torden

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 PM

Posted 05 January 2008 - 10:03 PM

How come the only way to do a recovery from a Complete PC Backup in Vista requires bootup from the orginal Vista DVD?

Ive payed hard cash for the original. Id like to know its good and safe, but when I have to use it everytime i need a Recovery! I acctually have to bring the original disc with me on my weekly travels.

Cant I get a Vista boot disc or such, that has Complete PC Backup and Recovery-thing build in or something? Hell aint Vista new and all, should I be bale to do it from a usb stick ;)

Im frustrated

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SuperTruper

SuperTruper

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 AM

Posted 06 January 2008 - 05:43 AM

Yeah, I definitely know what you mean. It can be REALLY frustrating. A lot of manufacturers are different in the way they sell their pc products. Some laptops come with built in recovery. My HP Pavilion DV9000 has a built in recovery - I never recieved a vista installation or backup CD.

It really depends on the manufacturer, but you may be able to go into your Computer section from the start menu, and it will list the drives. It's so hard to tell where EXACTLY it could be, but they should give you an option somewhere to burn a one time backup CD.

Aside from that - if you want to burn a backup cd, and aren't happy with carrying the original - what's the issue? Same data - same size, etc. Or just don't want to lose or damage the original backup cd just incase? Just curious.

Good luck though

#3 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 PM

Posted 06 January 2008 - 08:31 AM

hi all,,, i dont understand what you mean by built in recovery,,, most pc's with vista preinslalled & no recovery disc you make your owne when you first switch your pc on then keep it safe,,, you can only do this once, if you did not do it when first prompted you should still be able to do it but like i say just the once. If your recovery is stored on your hard drive only, then in the event of a compleat HDD failuar then you loose everything on it including the recovery backup. Alot of people including myself have a partition on there HDD with a back up recovery on it incase your os gets corroupt & you want to reinstall,,,, but like i say if your hard drive goes compleatly then this is also lost & then you need a recovery disc.
Figgis,,,, LUFC

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 AM

Posted 06 January 2008 - 08:37 AM

Some Gateway's used to come with a partial recovery partition - and it required the installation CD to complete the task (this was with XP and would use the i386 directory from the CD for the restore). Haven't done a Gateway restore recently so I don't know if this is the case here.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Maverick100

Maverick100

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 AM

Posted 12 January 2008 - 01:13 AM

With Gateway/Emachines the restore partition is complete with the Vista computers and later XP models ever since 2005

Edited by Maverick100, 12 January 2008 - 01:13 AM.

#6 Dialer

Dialer

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 AM

Posted 12 January 2008 - 01:38 PM

Ive payed hard cash for the original. Id like to know its good and safe, but when I have to use it everytime i need a Recovery! I acctually have to bring the original disc with me on my weekly travels.

I could be way off base, but I can't help wondering if there isn't a more basic issue with your computer that you seem to have to do such frequent recoveries?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users