Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless Card Question For Ubuntu Nube

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 d3phext

d3phext

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 PM

Posted 05 January 2008 - 09:45 PM

hello all - in a few days i'll be putting a linksys PCI wireless card into a ubuntu (fawn) knockaround, (neither of which are with me right now)
and was generally wondering what to expect for a smooth startup. what's going to happen when i turn it on for the first time, where should i
get the drivers from (or do i even have to). basically i've never added hardware to a linux machine, so if you can tell me anything with this
admittedly vague information that may save me some time or worry, i'd surely appreciate it!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 madman6510

madman6510

• Members
  • 384 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 PM

Posted 05 January 2008 - 09:55 PM

Ubuntu will generally automatically detect and install most hardware you give it, but in the case that it doesn't detect, then a quick Google for drivers will probably find you some decent drivers.

#3 joejimbo

joejimbo

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 PM

Posted 09 January 2008 - 10:49 PM

just as madman said the experience should be quite smooth, just in my case my wireless wasn't working and had to spend hours figuring out how to install the software to install the drivers (I didn't have the option of an ethernet line) . Only tip can really give you if things go sour is to look up ndiswrapper tutorials and keep that live cd of ubuntu handy, it has packages that aren't defalutly installed within it which I believe you'll need.

#4 KIDRoach

KIDRoach

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 AM

Posted 09 January 2008 - 11:55 PM

Agreed, I've read [and experienced] some hardware not working in linux. Try to get a quick look on what brand and model your Wireless card is. It might work flawlessly, but again, it might not. :thumbsup:

A few days ago, I installed Ubuntu for the first time, couldn't get its sound to work, researched about it for a few days and got it working. My network adaptor seems to work just fine though. :flowers:
If Quizzes were Quizzicles, what are Tests ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users