Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bd-rw Drive

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 AssassinBlack

AssassinBlack

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 AM

Posted 05 January 2008 - 08:42 PM

I work for some people and they bought a brand you desktop yesterday along with a Blu-Ray rw drive. First off the they were able to find an ATA bd-rw drive. This new computer is SATA. That was the first problem and it was solved easily with a ATA to SATA conversion kit. I installed the software cd that came with the package, and to my surprise, the powerdvd has know compatibility issues with vista. I went to CyberLink website and downloaded the patch and started to install it. It tells me that "either you have an older verison of PowerDvd or it isn't installed at all. I need to make this work. I will be out of town in 10 days and I won't be back for atleast 2 months. Can someone assist me. BWU-100S. That's the model of the drive. They picked it up without me being there so they didn't pick up the SATA obviously. Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2008 - 08:55 PM

why would you assume a drive conversion kit would work with any or all optical drives, the atapi standard used is an iffy proposition when using a controller card or adapter, most simply don't work

for that price return the pata drive and use a sata model
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 AM

Posted 05 January 2008 - 09:04 PM

Return the drive and purchase a SATA version There will be continuous issues trying to run the pata drive through a converter. This is the Sony BWU-200S model, which is SATA
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#4 AssassinBlack

AssassinBlack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2008 - 09:09 PM

They bought it at CompUsa and right now, all sells are final. The system picks up the drive.

#5 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2008 - 09:14 PM

first fire the guy that bought the combination or at least leave him at the desk and keep him away from tech purchases

now afaik there's only 2 forums that might know for certain which controller cards would work with that drive and only a couple of guys at those forums with that drive

http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?act=idx

http://club.cdfreaks.com/

the drive being detected is irrelevant obviously
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users