Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Connecting Directly To The Internet & Ip Address

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Juha

Juha

• Members
  • 512 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 PM

Posted 05 January 2008 - 08:27 PM

Hi,

First of all I think I've put this question in the right place because I didn't know where...

I was reading an online article and said "...use a router or a firewall. If you connect directly to the internet, then your IP address can be used by others on the network to attempt to connect directly to your PC and exploit any vulnerabilities"

What is meant by 'connecting directly to the internet'? Dial-up connection? And how can others use my IP address to connect directly to my PC?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,853 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 AM

Posted 05 January 2008 - 11:31 PM

No, dial-up connection is not what is meant by "direct connection". That is only the method you use to connect. Let me create an analogy here.

Suppose your computer is your house, and the outside is the internet. You can 'connect' with the outside foot, bicycle, car, etc. (dial-up, cable, wireless, DSL etc.). The doors and windows are the ports, or openings that allow you to pass out of the house (computer) to wherever you want to go outside.

Now, let's suppose the openings to your house have no barriers, doors or windows. People passing by could enter your house and do bad things. That would be equivalent to a direct connection.

Now if you put up windows, solid doors, curtains and the like you have put up a barrier or a firewall to keep people from seeing what is going on inside your house and hopefully from doing damage. With only a firewall, someone could peek inside when you open a door or window (port) to go out. A router does a piece of magic whereby the potential peekers would look through the opening, but see something else instead; the router warps the opening as it were. You are no longer connecting directly to the internet.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 Juha

Juha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 512 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2008 - 03:49 PM

Hi, O.B. Thanks for the reply,

What is the equivalent of not having doors and/or windows in the computer world. In other words, when would I be connecting directly to the Internet. Suppose I didn't use a router or a firewall, does that itself mean I am connecting directly to the Internet? Since Dial-up isn't a direct connection, in what case is it?

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2008 - 06:24 PM

Connecting directly to the internet means your computer is hooked up by cable directly to your DSL modem, with no hardware firewall (router) or software firewall, monitoring traffic both in and out. Hopefully, you should have XP's firewall on, by default.
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 Juha

Juha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 512 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2008 - 06:54 PM

Thanks Mark. I get it now... But just one more question! Why isn't Dial-up a direct connection when it is connected 'directly' to the phone line?! Or is it unless you have a software firewall installed?

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2008 - 08:17 PM

A dial up connection, from the modem card in your computer through a phone cable to the telephone service provider is a direct connection. There is nothing in between to act as a firewall
Mark
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#7 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,853 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2008 - 08:22 PM

Wouldn't an active software firewall such as Kerio Personal Firewall make that connection indirect? I would think the connection were direct only if there were neither firewall nor router.

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#8 Juha

Juha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 512 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2008 - 08:29 PM

Thanks once again, Mark & O.B. for the informative replies.

#9 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2008 - 09:25 PM

Wouldn't an active software firewall such as Kerio Personal Firewall make that connection indirect? I would think the connection were direct only if there were neither firewall nor router.

Yes, either hardware or software provides a "WALL" or filter if you will to prevent unwanted traffic
Mark
Mark
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users