Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disabled My Plug-n-play Monitor Like A Fool

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 graciejane

graciejane

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 PM

Posted 05 January 2008 - 08:23 PM

A while ago I was thinking that it would be a "smart" idea to update all of my drivers for things like my web cam and monitor. (I have windows XP Pro) A few days after I did this, the monitor kept resetting itself to the lowest possible settings. Of course I could reset them every time I rebooted my computer, but the settings would not say.

I screwed around with my settings, and disabled my NVidia on the motherboard. That did not work. Then I disabled my plug-n-play, which made it worse. I don't think I re-enabled the nvidia (probably my first problem), but now when I boot up it goes through the initial boot window, then I see the windows logo... then nothin'. My computer is working just fine because it's giving me all the happy beeps that it does when it boots up. I just can't see a stinking thing.

I tried everything in the stuff I've found on the internet. I hit F8, and tried to boot it in every which mode I could. It hangs in any of the safe modes, and it just goes blank in all of the other modes (even the VGA mode).

Does anyone have any idea how to fix it when it won't even show me my computer in a safe or vga mode? :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 AM

Posted 05 January 2008 - 08:38 PM

it really sounds like you are missing the safe mode, try F8 tapping quickly as soon as the keyboard lights flash

I have even had to shut off the power during bootup and trigger windows automatically saying failed bootup and then getting into safe mode that way

choose last known good if you ever get there

GOOD LUCK
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 graciejane

graciejane
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2008 - 08:54 PM

I can get as far as it starting to load safe mode with the white text, but it hangs on "mulit(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\windows\system32\drivers\mup.sys".

If my system is missing the safe mode how do I get it back, and how can I be sure its missing?

#4 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2008 - 09:24 PM

if last know good configuration doesn't work? then it might not be the drivers you played with? Any recent hardware changes?
Chewy

#5 graciejane

graciejane
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2008 - 09:29 PM

Last known doesn't work either. I didn't do any hardware changes. The last things that I played with were the Nvidia and the plug -n-play (or would changing the settings for the nvidia be considered a hardware change?).

#6 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2008 - 09:40 PM

windows should still boot to safe mode without any special drivers loaded after the OS was installed, have you disconnected all usb devices like the web cam, your error points to hardware failure as a possible cause?

coincidence?
Chewy

#7 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2008 - 10:21 PM

I don't know if it will help or not , but go into the BIOS and select "Restore default settings"

"My computer is working just fine because it's giving me all the happy beeps that it does when it boots up"
You should only hear a single post beep. How many do you hear and is there a pattern to them?
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#8 graciejane

graciejane
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2008 - 01:40 PM

I disconnected all things USB. That didn't make a difference. I tried to boot in safe mode, and it still hung.

I tried restore default settings, but that doesn't make the monitor work after the initial windows boot screen.

The "happy" sounds I hear when my computer starts up are the active sync that I have set up, Kodak does some crazy thing that makes noises, and my comodo stuff beeps when it finds stuff to ask me if it's ok to let it through. Its all pretty normal on my computer, I just can't see any of it.

The only other odd thing that's happened is that my Netgear wireless router has stopped working the morning after this happened. I don't think that's linked though.

#9 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2008 - 01:56 PM

your booting into normal mode from what you are describing, you just have a hardware failure with your display

procede according to troubleshoot

try another monitor, check video cable connetions etc??????

actually I had something similar happen when trying to fix a computer totally hosed by malware, no matter what I did it wouldn't put a display up until I changed the monitor and then I got into safe mode and started trying to fix it

ask microsoft, cause I have no idea how that's possible????

Edited by DaChew, 06 January 2008 - 01:59 PM.

Chewy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users