Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Xp Setup Xml Problem

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 vapidweasel

vapidweasel

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 AM

Posted 05 January 2008 - 05:32 PM

Ok, here's the issue.

I have a few different hard drives that I am trying to install Windows XP Professional on.

One HD was a blank HD. Two others were downgrades from Windows Vista.

I have a brand new Windows XP full version and each time I try to install it I get five different files that Windows Setup says it cannot find. I continue through set up, the computer restarts, gets into the introduction screen and says it has a fatal error and cannot continue.

My first instinct was to log in using Windows repair option in setup and manually put the files on the hard drive in the correct directories using DOS. However I cannot seem to find a place to download .xml files and also can't figure out how to install them, even if I had them, using DOS.

So here's the bottom line: how in the world do I fix this?

P.S. Here are the five files:

cmnicfg.xml
ipcfg.xml
osinfo.xml
potscfg.xml
pppcfg.xml

Here is the C:\Windows\setuprr.log message:

sxs.dll: Syntax error in manifest or policy file: "E:\1386\asm\1000\MSFT\WINDOWS\GDIPLUS\GDIPLUS.MAN" on Line 4

Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,550 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2008 - 10:27 PM

I think that I would be more concerned about checking both the media used to install...and the drives.

Installs are reported by many others to proceed much smoother.

Louis

#3 vapidweasel

vapidweasel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2008 - 12:51 PM

I think that I would be more concerned about checking both the media used to install...and the drives.

Installs are reported by many others to proceed much smoother.

Louis

Well thank you for the advice. However, the WinXP disk I'm using was brand new out of the package bought from a authorized MS distributor. Although two of the computers I tried it on were used machines with other issues (that I fixed) the latest machine is brand new.

I also tried to clean the disk.

So I don't think the problem is with the drives, although I'm beginning to think the problem is with the disk itself some how missing files. I did some further research and came up with a DLL file that could possibly be missing. I have the DLL file on my current computer (the one I'm using right now) and am going to try and find a way to get it over to the new machine. (Any suggestions on the best way to do that BTW)

Anyone else ever hear of this problem who has perhaps a new suggestion?

#4 vapidweasel

vapidweasel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2008 - 03:51 PM

Think I got it folks! My wife suggested that I simply delete the existing partitions and further format the entire hard drive.

I did that and tried a fresh install, and I now have 6 minutes left in my set up. No, now five minutes.

I'll post back when I'm able to actually get on to my desktop.

#5 vapidweasel

vapidweasel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2008 - 04:07 PM

:thumbsup:

WOOT!!! It worked!!!

I'm setting up my wireless network and moving my files over to the new computer as I type. I simply needed to delete the partitions and format the hard drive (not a big deal since there was nothing useful or needed on the drive to begin with).

My wife likened her coming up with the answer to the episode in Stargate where the Asgard asked Samantha Carter to help them beat the replicators by using the human primitive technology and knowledge because the Asgard were "over thinking the problem" (good grief I'm a nerd) Personally, I think she's just smarter than me.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,550 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2008 - 06:52 PM

Self-help is good, well done, happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

#7 rlincoln21

rlincoln21

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2008 - 01:11 PM

Are you using an OEM Version of the Windows XP Home SP2 Installation disk? I'm having the exact same problem with my installation im trying what you did, im in the middle of formatting right now. Thanks :thumbsup:

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,550 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2008 - 01:52 PM

An OEM version (I have 7/8 of these) can only initially be installed on a system that has 1 hard drive, with no partitions existing on it. 1 optical drive (CD/DVD) must be installed on the system. Nothing else or it throws off the C/D thing.

Use the XP CD for deleting partitions, formatting, creating the C: partitition, installing XP.

If there are partitions on the drive, delete those, then format/install XP. If there are other drives on the system, just temporarily remove the connections (PS and motherboard) and do your install.

Louis

#9 Brawo

Brawo

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 PM

Posted 17 October 2009 - 06:58 AM

Hi,
Just format C: drive or where u installed the older windows and do a clean install. it will solve the problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users