Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mouse Moves Erratically

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Tofuw/Rice

Tofuw/Rice

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 AM

Posted 05 January 2008 - 03:47 PM

Hi all, I'm new to these forums so don't bash.

I recently have been having problems with my mouse. It is a HP N3+ Optical mouse PS/2 WIRED. I have a HP Pavilion a255c. It was working perfectly fine before until this.

So, here's the story. I was playing Battlefield 2 on my brothers computer and he had a ball mouse, I didn't like how the ball mouse worked, so, I unplugged my Optical Mouse (While my computer was on) and plugged it in my brothers computer. When I plugged it in, it was crazy! It jumped all over the screen! I thought it didn't work on his computer for some reason, so, I just plugged it back in my own computer. When I plugged it back in, it did the same thing! It jumped all over the screen and I didn't even touch it. I wiped the mouse lens clean and tried different surfaces. I tried my mouse on other computers and it did the same thing as on mine. I tried 3 different computers and still no luck, it jumps all over the place. I tried other mice on my computer and they work perfectly fine, so that rules out a problem with a driver or the PS/2 port. I doubt, I have viruses too because I think my computer is pretty safe. I followed a guide from Microsoft that shows me how to uninstall mouse drivers and key registries, and then reinstall them but that didn't work. I think I've tried everything; I might have to buy a new mouse.

Thanks all! :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 AM

Posted 05 January 2008 - 05:45 PM

Sounds like you have done enough diagnosing already. Looks to be something specific to that mouse.

I have seen opticals jump around if they are not on the correct surface (magazines, text or some glossy surfaces) or if their batteries are low. Have you checked them?

DR

#3 Tofuw/Rice

Tofuw/Rice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2008 - 03:04 AM

Sounds like you have done enough diagnosing already. Looks to be something specific to that mouse.

I have seen opticals jump around if they are not on the correct surface (magazines, text or some glossy surfaces) or if their batteries are low. Have you checked them?

DR

My mouse is wired to the computer, no need for batteries it isn't a wireless mouse. The surface isn't the problem because before it worked perfectly fine on the same surface. I checked for dust on the lens and dust on the table and I tried different surfaces. I am totally stuck, I have tried everything! The problem started when I unplugged my mouse from my computer, while it was on, and plugged it into another one.

#4 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 AM

Posted 06 January 2008 - 03:53 AM

You should not plug or unplug anything while the computer is on. Things tend to get screwey, as you've seen. Since other mice (meeces) work on your computer and yours won't work anywhere, I would think that your mouse is need of replacement.... :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#5 Tofuw/Rice

Tofuw/Rice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2008 - 03:10 PM

Ok, I fixed the problem for those who want to know. I unplugged my power supply when my computer was off and until the light in the back turned off to show that all the circuits lost power. Then when I turned my computer back on my mouse worked again. Weird huh? :thumbsup: Oh, well it worked thanks all!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users