Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Invalid Boot File & Blue Screen Of Death

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 fu510N

fu510N

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 PM

Posted 05 January 2008 - 03:01 PM

Having major XP issues here...

This is my cousins computer and all he pretty much does is download music and God knows what else, so I guess it was a matter of time before he got the dreaded blue screen of death...Here's what happens...When I start up his laptop, I get the little Gateway welcome, and than it goes to the following...

"Invalid BOOT.INI file
Booting from C:/windows/"

After that it goes to

"Windows could not start because of an error in the software.
Please report this problem as :
load needed for DLLs for kernel.
Please contact your support person to report this problem."

Than it just sits. If I hit the enter key, it just reloads and displays the same messages...
I tried booting into Safe Mode, and I get the same thing. I also booted from "Last known Good Configuration" and get the same thing.

I got out his recovery CD from Gateway, but when I try to boot from that, I get the Blue Screen of death with the following:

"A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.
PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps: Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. if this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any windows updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as cashing or shadowing. If you need to sue Safe Mode to remove or disable componernts, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup options, and than select Safe Mode.

Technical Information

***SOTP: 0x00000050 (0xC74C0000, 0x00000000, 0x8043D403, 0x00000000)"

I'm not sure what to do, any help would be GREATLY appreciated...

Thanks...
Friends, help! A guinea-pig tricked me!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 AM

Posted 05 January 2008 - 03:46 PM

Are you sure that the computer is set to boot from a CD? Check the boot order in your BIOS.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 fu510N

fu510N
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2008 - 04:35 PM

Yes, I checked the BIOS and it is listed first...

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2008 - 04:49 PM

What exactly happens when you boot from the CD? That is, what happens before you get the BSOD?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 fu510N

fu510N
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2008 - 04:51 PM

Once it boots up... I get prompted to press "R" to go to System Recovery Settings, and than I get the Gateway logo and a little "please wait" text and than it goes to the BSOD...

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2008 - 04:55 PM

Unfortunately, all sorts of things can cause 0x00000050 stop error messages. The first thing I would do is test the RAM using memtest86.

—George Bernard Shaw

#7 fu510N

fu510N
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2008 - 05:45 PM

I ran a scan and it looks okay...The problem is that I can't run the Recover Disk which would help me clear the DLLs kernel problem...I may have to try reinstalling Windows, but I don't have a setup disk, only recovery disk...

#8 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2008 - 03:16 AM

Try running the memtest scan again. You have to let it run through at least three passes, which will take several hours.

—George Bernard Shaw

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2008 - 09:14 AM

As this BSOD is closely related to memory, I'd suggest that you let MemTest run overnight to see if any errors are generated.
Also, this BSOD can occur with problems in the L2 cache memory (the CPU) or the video memory (VRAM).
You can disable caching in the BIOS on some systems - so that will help to eliminate it as a cause.
As it's a laptop there's no easy way to isolate the video card - so that can't be eliminated as a cause.

A description of the error message is here: http://aumha.org/a/stop.php#0x50
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#10 fu510N

fu510N
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2008 - 03:54 PM

Okay, what I ended up doing is using a different Microsoft Windows Operating System Disc that came with my friends computer...It was the same edition, and I ended up having to completely reinstall it...I am now having an issue setting up a Wireless Connection, but I will post this in the Networking Forum...Thanks for all the help...

Edited by fu510N, 06 January 2008 - 03:59 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users