Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Advice On Security Please

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 tobyo

tobyo

• Members
  • 703 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 PM

Posted 05 January 2008 - 02:47 PM

While I wait for my HJT log thread to get looked at, I already know that I want to dump the internet "security" that I have. I have Windows XP and the machine is about 2.5 years old. My problems began to occur when we purchased two additional computers that have Windows Vista. Prior to purchasing those two computers (mid last year) I had Norton internet security 2005. I have the 2007 version now. I had two other spyware softwares also loaded on this machine because I had heard that Norton doesn't catch everything. so, I purchased the internet security 2007 because I could load it onto all 3 machines here. and I had a good track record with Norton before. Well....shortly after loading this newer version onto this machine I began to get an error (0x000003EE). got online with Norton and they told me that the additional anti spyware softwares were interfering with theirs. so I dumped the two add'l softwares. and guess what? I have a spyware (bfgtoolbar) now on this machine that I cannot get rid of!! I have run numerous anti spyware scans and cleaned it up, but the damn thing is still there (and that is what I'm waiting for help with). I have uninstalled and reinstalled the Norton "security" software and was able to use my PC safely for one whole day. yep, the damn error is back. also, Norton's security found this spyware but, curiously, they cannot remove it w/o me giving them $100. I do not like that one bit.

so, I am pretty sure I no longer want that version of Norton on this machine. and I'm looking for advice on what to use now. maybe I can go back and use the previous version of Norton, same name, different year (2005). but I'd like to poll people here to find out what others use and have been successful with using Windows XP. any advice is greatly appreciated.

oh, I have forgotten how much RAM this machine has but my guess is it's at least 512mb and perhaps more. I did a quick search to see where I can find that on the machine, to no avail. so, if anyone knows how to find this, that would be helpful as well.

thanks much!!

Edited by tobyo, 05 January 2008 - 02:49 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 05 January 2008 - 06:28 PM

DO NOT UNINSTALL NORTON, OR MAKE ANY CHANGES TO YOUR COMPUTER UNTIL THE SECURITY EXPERTS HAVE DECLARED YOUR MACHINE CLEAN.

If you get responses to your question regarding security, use the time to research your options.
When the time comes for you to uninstall Norton and reinstall something else, you'll already have a good idea about what you want to try.

The only advice I have for you-if you decide to go with a paid program, see if there is a trial version available. There is no one size fits all when it comes to computer security. What works for me may not play nice with your system. A trial version will allow you to find out how the program reacts on your computer, plus give you a chance to see if it's user friendly, what features it has. It won't take you long to find out if it's one you want to use on a permanent basis.

#3 tobyo

tobyo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 703 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2008 - 12:29 AM

I checked with the moderator giving me advice originally with my spyware issue and he/she said it would be OK to uninstall then reinstall since I already had the same software when I posted my log. it doesn't matter anyway as my error is back now and my virus protection is shut down. and I won't be uninstalling, etc. until I hear back regarding my thread with the log.

I was just looking for advice based on my machine and operating software. I am unsure as to what other features (hard disc space?) or software on my machine is needed for someone to give me an idea what I should use for security. and...I guess at the very least, I am looking for what others are using. anyone out there who wants to chime in, I'm all ears.

thanks again.

#4 tobyo

tobyo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 703 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2008 - 12:32 AM

here's a thought......I know that I like the anti spyware that was suggested here and elsewhere so I might stick with that.

what do others use for firewall and virus?? any suggestions, opinions, ideas are greatly appreciated.

thanks, tobyo

#5 tobyo

tobyo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 703 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2008 - 09:35 AM

harumpf........nobody wants to even tell me what they're using? I am particularly interested in what to use with XP.....I understand what Queen Evie is saying but....I just want a general sense of what has worked for people with XP. guess I'll give up if noone responds today.........

#6 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 06 January 2008 - 10:14 AM

If you have the go-ahead from the HJT helper:

For firewall I use Comodo.
Anti-virus: AVG

Both have free versions, neither have ever caused issues with my computer.
User-friendly, are not the resource hogs Norton, McAfee, and a lot of other suites and programs are.
It's your choice on whether to use a suite or seperate programs.
Personally, my tent is firmly pitched in the "I don't like suites" section of the campground.

You will have to research your options to find out what system requirements are.

Have you looked at this thread?
Freeware Replacements For Common Commercial Apps

There you will find recommendations for not only antivirus and firewall-there's a lot of neat things listed.

It was not my intention to ignore your question. I just wanted to make sure that you were making no changes while working on your HJT log.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 06 January 2008 - 10:23 AM.

#7 tobyo

tobyo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 703 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2008 - 07:53 AM

no problem QE, I didn't think you were ignoring my question......was hoping more people would reply is all. and, no, I don't have the go-ahead from HJT helper. today is day 5..........

but thanks for more advice. I appreciate it greatly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users