Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Computer Not Showing Jumpdrive

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 buckeye45690

buckeye45690

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 PM

Posted 05 January 2008 - 01:25 PM

Hi, I have a new 2 GB Lexar JumpDrive FireFly that I'm trying to use. My pc is a Dell Dimension 4700 70 gb running XP, I have a dvd player as drive D, and dvd burner as drive E My computer is not showing it, I put it in the usb port it showed new hardware found, then said device ready to use, but its not showing up in My Computer. The drive lights up when I insert it, And I can see it under hardware in my devices. It is just not showing up to use. If I try to save something it doesn't show as an option.
I also took it to work and it booted right up. I have never used one of these before so my usb ports have never been used either. Please tell me what step I'm missing.
Thanks for any and all help
buckeye

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 PM

Posted 05 January 2008 - 02:53 PM

Welcome to BC
The drive's formated, correct? Are there any yellow exclamation points anywhere in Device Manager? Does it show up in Device Management?
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309000
Does it have a drive letter assigned to it?
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307844
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 buckeye45690

buckeye45690
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2008 - 03:06 PM

It does show in device manager under disk drives. I do not see any yellow exclamation points, it does not have a drive letter, and I did not manually try to format it. It came up device ready to use when I first installed it so I didn't think I had do anything else. Should I go under device mgr. and try to unistall, will it reinstall it itself?
I tried to format it but I get this error: (the operation did not complete because the partition or volume is not enabled. To enable the partition or volume restart the computer) which I did and still got some message. Then I ent thru and assigned a drive letter, it now registers in the drop down menu if i try to save something such as a document. It shows local drive [F:] I can now save files to it.but it is still not showing in my computer so I can move files or try to access the drive, but I lose it if I take it out or restart the computer. When I go back into disk management its not showing a drive letter again. :thumbsup:
Agian,thanks for any and all help.

Edited by buckeye45690, 05 January 2008 - 04:47 PM.

#4 buckeye45690

buckeye45690
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2008 - 05:52 PM

Ok I tried TWEAKUI drives WERE enabled. Otreid to uninstall and reinstall, got the message new hardware installed and ready to use, tried to format the drive, got the message operation failed partition or volume not enabled, to enabled restart the computer, which I did with the same result :thumbsup: Anyone, Someone, PLEASE HELP ME.
Thanks again

#5 Vaerli

Vaerli

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 AM

Posted 08 January 2008 - 12:04 AM

hmmm, once we got a 1gb that was faulty, but it sounds like if you can use it at work, it should work fine at home. Try and plug it into a different USB port, if you've got a few.

If that doesn't work, I dunno what will.

Q6600, 4GB g-skill, 8800GT, P5N-D motherboard
Posted Image
My art

#6 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,541 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2008 - 01:06 AM

Try cleaning the USB ports with some compressed air and maybe a soft brush of some sort.
I use a small car detailing brush for that. Maybe dust is causing the issue

You know that the drive is not faulty as it works when you take it to work
In the beginning there was the command line.

#7 geeneeree

geeneeree

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2008 - 11:58 AM

whew, i'm glad to know i'm not alone... i have the same problem with a Kingston 4gb DataTraveler... i can see the drive listed in the Device Manager and also when i click to Safely Remove Hardware... and it is assigned a drive letter... but when i look in My Computer, it doesn't show up there... i have smaller jump drives, including a 2 gb, that are listed when i plug them in... i haven't had any problem with those... also, i just now tried this Kingston drive on my son's computer and it came right up in his My Computer folder so i know the jump drive works... i have XP Home on a Systemax Computer... my son has an Acer laptop with XP Home... i'm wondering if it has anything to do with the age of the computer... i got my computer new online about 5 years ago... i'd be interested to know how old Buckeye's computer is and if that might be the problem...

any help would be appreciated!
geeneeree
The more you know about computers, the more you realize you don't know about computers!

#8 buckeye45690

buckeye45690
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2008 - 01:00 PM

Hi, I bought this about 3 years ago. Its a Dell Dimension 4700, running XP . I have been online chatting with Lexar support about the Jumpdrive and basically they say it has to be the computer. I'm at a loss here.

#9 geeneeree

geeneeree

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2008 - 10:10 PM

well, this is very strange... i'm going to check around on other forum sites and see if there's anyone else having this problem... this one must have stumped the techs on this site too... no one else has responded since i added my post...
The more you know about computers, the more you realize you don't know about computers!

#10 qbe9

qbe9

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2008 - 03:50 PM

It may be due to a drive letter overlay. In other words, another drive may be mapped to the letter that your usb drive would usually be displayed as in my computer. I had a similar problem where the usb drive would default to E: but a network drive was already mapped to it.

Follow the following link to change the drive letter:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307844

Good luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users