Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Almost Didn't Start (memory Error)

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 tpm

tpm

• Members
  • 355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 AM

Posted 05 January 2008 - 01:22 PM

Hello
My computer almost didn't start today. It took several attempts to start up by using the power button on the tower. Error message then appears that states.
Firmware has detected that the system memory has decreased. The installed amount of memory in channel A is not equal to the amount of memory in channel B.
Maximum memory preformance is achieved with equal amounts of memory installed in each channel.
Press to Boot.
On doing this it still doesn't boot and I have to use the tower button several times. I went to crucial and checked the Belarc scan and they both found 4 sticks of 1024 memory, no issues

Gateway with 4gig memory
I am running Vista Home Premium

This error came up several months ago but I didn't have any start problems. The error has since gone away until now
Thank you
Tom Miller
Tom

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tpm

tpm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 355 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2008 - 07:51 PM

"bump"
Tom

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 AM

Posted 06 January 2008 - 08:19 AM

I'd suggest running this free memory tester to see what the issue is with your memory: http://www.memtest86.com/

Alternatively, you can use the Windows Memory Diagnostic that's built into Windows Vista by following the instructions at this link: http://www.lockergnome.com/blade/2007/02/1...iagnostic-tool/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 tpm

tpm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 355 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2008 - 01:31 PM

USASMA thanks
I can't figure just how to use it though. I am running Vista on a Gateway with 4gig of ram, 4 sticks
Tom

#5 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2008 - 02:38 PM

The directions for MemTest are on their website. It involves making a bootable CD and booting from that to run the test.
The link to the description of the Windows Memory Diagnostic contains instructions on how to access it.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 tpm

tpm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 355 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2008 - 03:04 PM

Thanks John I will attempt it. I'm lucky I know which way to point the mouse!

Edit: Ran the Vista Memory tool and came up with no issues.
Thanks again John

Edited by tpm, 06 January 2008 - 03:26 PM.

Tom

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2008 - 03:48 PM

Since the Vista memory test didn't find any issues - has the amount of memory been changed in the system? There are instances where chipsets won't support the 4gB of RAM in 32 bit systems (usually has to do with hard drive communications through the motherboard).

What does the Reliability Monitor say about the errors? Click on Start and type "reliability" (without the quotes) and press Enter. In the Windows that opens, click on Reliability Monitor in the left hand pane to view the errors in the right hand pane.

What does Event Viewer have to say. To do this, click on Start and type in "eventvwr.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter. Click to expand the Windows Logs, then click on System to see any errors there.

As this is a startup issue (rather than a Windows issue), there may not be any evidence in either tool. But since Windows is able to communicate with the BIOS and the CPU (in limited ways) there may be some evidence there.

Also, please let us know the exact model number of your Gateway so that we can check to see it's detailed specifications.

FWIW - I just went to 64 bit Vista because of these memory issues and my inability to figure out if my mobo would allow me to work with 4 gB of RAM in Windows.

Edited by usasma, 06 January 2008 - 03:49 PM.

#8 tpm

tpm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 355 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2008 - 04:11 PM

Never knew Vista had all these nice tools. Unfortunately it didn't find anything. I removed and reseated the memory sticks and as of right now it is working alright. Gateway wants to change the motherboard. I just took out an additional 4 yr On site warranty.
I have a Gateway FX530XV 4 gig ram

Posted Image

Thanks John
Tom

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users