Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Continuous Restart Loop...

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Stormleader

Stormleader

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 AM

Posted 05 January 2008 - 12:47 PM

Well, it all started a long time ago. I got a horrible virus package (from a free "spyware removal" program :trumpet: ), and fumbled my way to fixing that... Yes, it left some trojans icluding virtumonde and some others that didnt seem to do any harm...at the time. So some time later I skim a website I guess and BAM! I get other viruses that dont allow me to even get on the internet... I fumble my way through all that with programs I downloaded and fixed it. but recently i got smacked again. Figured I could do the same as before...no such luck.

I didnt put this on the Spyware/Virus forums because it seems to have turned into a windows related problem now whereas it started out a viral issue...

Heres the current situation: My computer is doing a continuous loop, going from the very first boot screen, to the F8 screen where i have the options to restart in safe mode, restore from last known safe config etc... I can highlight and click on any of these options but it just starts all over again. I can go into setup but I dont see anything there that can help (and I'm not very good at the guts of the system anyway).

OK... NOW to tell you how I got there: when I picked up this latest batch of spyware I tried to fix it as before...some things worked using spybot, AdAwareSE, XoftSpy, Windows Malicious software tool, as well as a couple others that I'm confident arent some smokescreen for more maliciousness. But of course nothing got out the ever present nasties that seem like an old stinky roomate you can't get rid of because he's in dire straights and just trying to get by and you need the rent money anyway so you deal with him...but I digress.... my computer was running at sub-crawl speed and half the time I could get no webpages to open...including google. For the longest time i couldnt get to microsofts downloads page to download updates as it couldnt even to the regular updates. for some reason I was suddenly able to...after really searching to make sure it was REALLY Microsofts website I went for the brass ring and downloaded service pack3 Beta. No problems...till I realized my firewall had been down the whole time! :thumbsup: So I got it back up with no problems (had been disabled in the past by spyware) so I get firewall blocking some Locker.(exe?). So It gets blocked...Then I get that screen I saw in one of the posts about a message popping up that blah blah blah, click here to fix...huh uh...not gonna happen... so I Ctrl-Alt_Del and find the Locker service and stop it...

That finally got me to my desktop: no toolbar/taskbar, but all shortcuts are still there. trying to do everything i can think of except come here (DOH!). so i get to the control panel and figure I'm gonna do a sys restore...finally find out where to do that... go back about a month...i get about 2/3rds through it and an error pops up sayin It cant finish...to restrt computer... (of course I didnt write down the error message DOH! DOH!) i let it do its memory dump and restart on its own...now its doin the looping thing...

I was planning on biting the bullet and re-installing windsows proffesional but I cant get the disc to spin up...its in there just wont do anything...plus I really have aLOT of programs and files that I need to retrieve...the most important of pictures of my family :flowers: probably serves me right for not backing up before the SP3 but didnt know how... *sigh*

Sorry if this is rambling but I'm really hopped up on esspresso and I wanted to give you as much info of my stupidity as possible...of course with the absence of any that might actually help with a diagnosis. I know you guys are busy, after the holidays and all so take your time...but not too much ;) I really appreciate you guys and this site...especially now

Forgot to mention...
Windows Proffesional SP3
IE7
ASUS K8VSeries Motherboard
2.5Gig Simpletech DDR3200 Ram
Radeon 6900 256MB Video card

Think thats it...Thanks again!

Edited by Stormleader, 05 January 2008 - 12:55 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 PM

Posted 05 January 2008 - 02:08 PM

Do you have a Windows XP CD?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 Stormleader

Stormleader
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2008 - 02:22 PM

yes, as I said it's in the disc drive but wont spin up... sorry that info probably got lost in my rambling :thumbsup:

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2008 - 02:32 PM

Can you boot from the CD? If not try checking in your BIOS that you have the CD drive first in the boot order.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 Stormleader

Stormleader
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2008 - 02:57 PM

dont know how to boot from the CD...and yes I'll put that first in the drive order now
thanks for replying btw :thumbsup:

excellent, I am now able to boot from disc let ya know what happens...

Edited by Stormleader, 05 January 2008 - 03:01 PM.

#6 Stormleader

Stormleader
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2008 - 03:09 PM

well, to repair it it wants my admin password...no idea what it is...cant find any record on paper or in my memory of it...tried some variations of what I might have put in there but nothing works...
should I not try to repair and just re-install? will it ask for a password again? sigh...

#7 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2008 - 03:11 PM

Try leaving the password blank and just press enter.

—George Bernard Shaw

#8 Stormleader

Stormleader
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2008 - 03:13 PM

cool, got D:\windows>

#9 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2008 - 03:16 PM

I assume you are in the Recovery Console. Try running check-disk.

Type: chkdsk /r, which locates bad sectors and recovers readable information from the hard drive.

To exit the Recovery Console and restart the computer, type exit at the command prompt, and then press ENTER.

—George Bernard Shaw

#10 Stormleader

Stormleader
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2008 - 04:22 PM

just want to update, at 66% complete...

#11 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2008 - 04:48 PM

It does tend to take a while.

—George Bernard Shaw

#12 Stormleader

Stormleader
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2008 - 05:00 PM

ok typed exit...restarting computer...cool windows login screen up...aaaaaaand back to restart.......:-/

at least I made it ti the windows screen right? ugh....

ya, still looping

Edited by Stormleader, 05 January 2008 - 05:06 PM.

#13 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2008 - 05:02 PM

Okay, next thing to try is to type bootcfg /rebuild, completely re-creates the Boot.ini file. You will have to confirm each step.

—George Bernard Shaw

#14 Stormleader

Stormleader
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2008 - 05:13 PM

ok on it...ty...i know it's late and this may take awhile
i can wait if ya wanna reply at a later time...
I appreciate your help
at least I have a secondary computer so all is semi-well :thumbsup: .....

#15 Stormleader

Stormleader
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2008 - 05:45 PM

says the windows installation scan was successfull
note:scan results are stored statistically for this session....
total identified windows install:1
Total Identified windows installs:1
[1] C:\WINDOWS
says: add installation to boot list? (Yes/no/all):

so now what?
i take it the "C:" reffers to my previous original HD... ?

Note: I did add a larger 230Gig HD and made it primary...and since I didn't know how to istall windows fresh i basically cpoied the entire old HD to it...viruses and all... but anyway...

so C: is old smaller HD, D: is larger new drive....

and my keyboard on this computer is sticky...so I appologise for any grammatical errors :thumbsup: LOL

ok I'll wait...if it takes too much longer I'm tempted to hit "yes"

Edited by Stormleader, 05 January 2008 - 06:31 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users