Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Updates Render Ie6 Inoperable

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Damaru

Damaru

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 PM

Posted 05 January 2008 - 11:49 AM

For the past three weeks I've been terrified to go and get my Windows updates. That's because every time I DL/install the latest batch of high priority updates and reboot my system, I find that my email interface has been reconfigured and that Internet Explorer is inoperable. I never know how to solve the second problem and end up system-restoring to a point before I had installed the updates.

Observations:

On any reboot following a successful download/install of the latest Windows updates, the first thing I see (while my startups are still in the process of loading) is a new pop-up balloon above my system tray informing me that my computer has limited or no connectivity... This in itself is not so weird, as I have seen this balloon on several occasions in the past and it has never signaled any serious or lasting problems with my connection... However, the last time this balloon appeared (or at least the last time I happened to notice it) was about 6 months ago, so its sudden recurrence following any installation of new Windows updates on my machine strikes me as potentially significant. Once my startups have fully loaded, if I then attempt to open IE, I will quickly get an error message informing me that Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close and that Microsoft is sorry for the inconvenience. Also (and annoyingly), one or more of the updates seems to be reconfiguring my email toolbars in a fairly aggressive manner. This (at least to me) is unacceptable and even malware-like behavior, as I have spent long hours tweaking almost every aspect of my system that I can easily interface with for optimal efficiency.

If anyone can offer advice or point me to an online resource with information on the problems I am having, it will be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 854 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 PM

Posted 05 January 2008 - 12:24 PM

Repair install perhaps?
Maybe full reinstall?

Learn to take screenshots & add them to your posts. :thumbup2:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43088/how-to-capture-and-edit-a-screen-shot/#entry4532851

Learn to use Google Search.  :busy:

Make full system images to restore to if your computer goes bonkers.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 PM

Posted 05 January 2008 - 10:19 PM

If these symptoms were related to most who visit WinUpdate, I suppose that the blame could be laid at that particular doorstep.

Since they don't seem to impact all who visit WinUpdate, I suspect that you need to look at your particular system.

Taking a look in Event Viewer would be a first step, IMO.

What is the Event Viewer, and Should I Care - Ask Leo! - http://ask-leo.com/what_is_the_event_viewe...uld_i_care.html

Louis

#4 Damaru

Damaru
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2008 - 11:52 PM

Hi Louis,

Thanks a lot for this link - looking for more information in the event logs for the errors I have been receiving is something I haven't tried yet. And I agree that the problem is probably relevant to my own system.

Actually I'm a bit stymied... When I initially Googled my error message, I was directed to a page advising me to download and install updates to a number of programs such as Microsoft Office, Microsoft Visual Studio, Script Debugging, etc.. I read through everything on the webpage in question carefully and followed all the instructions that seemed relevant to my OS and software suite. At the time, this didn't seem to do anything to resolve the problems I was having with IE closing as soon as it was launched. Now, however (and I'm not sure what has brought about this change), the error only seems to occur for the first instance of IE I launch after booting up my system - the second (and all subsequent) instances of IE don't get error messages.

I could work with that situation if I really had to, but it's still clear that there is an internal problem or conflict with my system of some kind that the updates are bringing to light, and I tend to be of the `fix it now before it gets worse' persuasion when it comes to computers. I'm contemplating going back and selectively excluding updates from the list of recommended updates until I find the one that's causing the problem and then just excluding that one permanently.

Edited by Damaru, 06 January 2008 - 04:41 AM.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 PM

Posted 06 January 2008 - 06:39 PM

IMO, it's never wise to undo security updates pegged as "critical"...but that's just the way I run my two desktops.

As for using IE 6, I suspect that the best way to eliminate bugs which may relate to IE 6...is to update to IE 7.

I just think that some posters have difficulty distinguishing betwee "proper cause" when it comes to computer situations. An affected module is not necessarily the source of a given problem, given the interrationships of a computer system.

Which is why troubleshooting in person is a process of elimination...and troubleshooting from afar is often just a guessing (hopefully educated) game.

Louis

#6 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 AM

Posted 06 January 2008 - 07:22 PM

an option; have you got a date in your system restore where you KNOW the computer was behaving properly?

if so, roll back to it,then go to windows updates and select custom update; then select one or two updates at a time to download and install and take a restore point after each update ;that way you can see from only a small group of updates which ones MIGHT be adversely affecting you

suggest do NOT (yet)update to IE7;

do you have sp2 installed?

what is your antivirus and other protection programs and when did you last update them and run a full scan?

#7 Damaru

Damaru
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2008 - 10:07 PM

Hi Ruby1,

Thanks a lot for the response.

Yes, I do have the ability to restore my system to a point when I know my computer was working properly, as I ALWAYS create a restore point before installing new software or updates - even Windows updates. :thumbsup:

Your idea of installing a few updates at a time to find the `mole' is a pretty good one... I think I'm either going to do that or try installing all the priority updates except for the 2 that are not labeled as `security' updates and see how that works...

I do have Service Pack 2 installed, and I am running AVG Free edition together with AVG Anti-Spyware (as well as a few other security tools which I doubt are involved) - all of which are fully up to date in terms of virus definitions and all of which have run recent system scans.

Regards,

Damaru

Edited by Damaru, 08 January 2008 - 12:22 AM.

#8 Vaerli

Vaerli

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 PM

Posted 07 January 2008 - 11:10 PM

I would say to try and update to IE7. I don't know why you're using the older version...

You could also try clearing cookies and all that junk too, before updating. For all you know, you might have some evil cookie that only works with a certain Windows update, although I wouldn't think that would be the case.

Check for dialers... I had a nasty one a few months ago that blocked all internet access through browsers, yet pinging would work fine. I'd try ad-aware for that if you choose that route.

Sorry I'm so unorganized, and not very thorough.

Q6600, 4GB g-skill, 8800GT, P5N-D motherboard
Posted Image
My art

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users