Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firewall(s)

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Jay Smith

Jay Smith

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 PM

Posted 05 January 2008 - 11:10 AM

I just purchased a Sony Vaio T5250 PC with Windows Vista Home Premium edition pre-installed. I also subscribed to Verizon DSL with the extra service of their Internet Security Suite option (if any of that is pertinent to this issue). My question: This Security Suite supposidly has some type of firewall added. Should I automatically turn off Windows firewall? Will they conflict, and will that conflict with Windows Defender (pre-installed)? Thanks a lot for any help you can give me.

:thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2008 - 12:03 PM

You need to verify whether or not the Suite includes a resident software firewall; you should be able to find this out somewhere on the Verizon FAQ or Help sections of their website. If it does, then disable Windows firewall, since having more than one resident firewall can both slow down your computer and certainly can cause conflicts.
To my knowledge, Defender does not include a firewall (perhaps another Member can validate this).
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 Dialer

Dialer

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 PM

Posted 05 January 2008 - 12:22 PM

I'm on Vista Home Premium. No firewall included with Defender. While it runs as a resident service performing essentially the same functions as Spybot S&D's Teatimer, it doesn't seem all that useful. Very few updates are made to it.

#4 Jay Smith

Jay Smith
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2008 - 10:47 AM

Thank you, Igweed & Dialer! Very helpful information.

Jay

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2008 - 11:48 AM

Thanks, Dialer, for "filling in the blanks" about WDefender. I agree with your assessment of its usefulness.
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#6 Dialer

Dialer

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 PM

Posted 06 January 2008 - 02:44 PM

You're most welcome. Happy to help out when I can. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users