Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need A Good Book

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 shady lady

shady lady

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 AM

Posted 05 January 2008 - 09:06 AM

Can anyone recommend a good comprehensive book showing such topics as how to download, and how to find your download after downloading! Basically the next stage up after knowing the very basics of the computer (emailing, surfing, basic word). Also a book that will help with troubleshooting. Like last night when I downloaded Sense and Sensibility from the BBC iplayer, and my computer went on a go slow, and kept hanging (if that is the correct term for getting messages saying that it was not responding, and to click "end something or other". In the end I turned it off and turned it on again, and even though it was still very slow, at least it worked. I presume it was on a go slow because I was downloading the BBC program. It is ok today, thank goodness. When things llike that happen I really don't have a clue what to do, which is why I am hoping to find a book with all the answers!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,026 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 AM

Posted 05 January 2008 - 11:20 PM

Hello could you tell us what is your operating system?
What antivirus,antispyware and firewall you use?
What size hard drive and how much free space it has?
How much RAM is installed?
Please ask if you don't know something.

Please read this .. Slow Computer Checklist
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 shady lady

shady lady
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 AM

Posted 03 June 2008 - 10:10 AM

Sorry for not replying to you sooner. I forgot I had even asked a question. Old age creeping one. I was given a middle of the range laptop since I asked that question, so I no longer use the old desktop. The new laptop has Vista Basic on it, so I got a Dummies book for Vista, which so far has answered many questions I have had. So I happy enough with the Dummy book.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users