Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Why Does Spybot S&d Take So Long To Open

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 PM

Posted 05 January 2008 - 03:08 AM

Hello, I have Spybot S&D and when I double click on it, it takes about 1 minutes before it says loading Spybot S&D then the main screen comes up (The UI) then it lags for a bit, then it finally loads. Is this normal and does anyone else have this problem with Spybot S&D?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 alumbagh

alumbagh

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 AM

Posted 05 January 2008 - 05:27 AM

What version of Spybot do you have ?
This was a known issue in version 1.5, but was fixed with version 1.5.1.17.

Update to that and the problem should go away.

#3 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 AM

Posted 05 January 2008 - 06:13 AM

apart from that issue is your computer behaving normally or are you having other issues with it?

#4 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 AM

Posted 05 January 2008 - 09:50 AM

I just went back to 1.4 because I had a heckuva time finding myself around the new 1.5 GUI. I didn't see any discernible difference in the length of time it took to open Spybot or do the scans between both versions. For myself, Spybot opens to the GUI in about 10-15 seconds. But with both versions, the actual scanning takes about 45 minutes now. With over 109 thousand definitions to scan for, I guess that's to be expected. That's one of the reasons I tried 1.5.... hoping the scan engine would be faster. But it isn't, imo.

I don't run anything in real time with Spybot. I just use it to manually scan my system every few days or if I think I've detected that "something" might have gotten to me.

I used to update the definitions (but manually) using Spybots online updater, but after doing that I started getting an error for the TrojansC.sbi in my now restored version 1.4. So I started over with a clean 1.4 version and downloaded the updates before installing them off line. That seems to have fixed it. So from now on, I'll do my updating off line with the updates from this page. It also contains some updates specific to 1.4 that don't apply to 1.5.

http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/index.html

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,606 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 AM

Posted 05 January 2008 - 10:17 AM

Yes, the slow startup issue with v1.5 was resolved in subsequent upgrades. They are now working on 1.5.1.19 beta.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2008 - 02:16 AM

Well, since I just downloaded Spybot a few days ago and did the updates, it means I must have the latest version. What should I do?

#7 alumbagh

alumbagh

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 AM

Posted 06 January 2008 - 05:34 AM

Open Spybot, go help>about Spybot and note what version you have.
Post back with that info.

#8 Dialer

Dialer

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 AM

Posted 06 January 2008 - 03:16 PM

Well, since I just downloaded Spybot a few days ago and did the updates, it means I must have the latest version.

Not necessarily. I'm using the beta 1.5.1.17 release, and it completely solved the slow-load issue. It's not easy to locate, but after about half an hour :thumbsup: I found it in the Spybot forums, here. The link is in the first post of this thread. Bear in mind that this is a beta release, and I can't say whether or not it will work properly on your machine, but it runs very well for me.

Version 1.5.1.19 is a release candidate and when it's ready will be realeased as V. 2 From what I read in the forums, it still looks buggier than 1.5.1.17.

#9 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2008 - 06:45 PM

Ok thanks for all of your replies, the version I have is 1.5.1.15 and I am downloading the Beta version now. The Beta version I believe is to be 1.5.1.17

Edited by dgraziani28, 06 January 2008 - 06:47 PM.

#10 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2008 - 06:50 PM

Thank you so much everyone who helped me! :thumbsup: The problem is now fixed and Spybot S&D loads instantly. The new Beta version even has a file shredder!

#11 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 AM

Posted 06 January 2008 - 09:32 PM

Spybot has had a shredder, for as long as I can remember.
It's under the Tools menu, in earlier versions.
Can't say where it's at in the newer version, as I still use v1.4
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#12 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2008 - 09:49 PM

I just noticed it! :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic